Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #11 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaRoss View Post
i agree with romad
Hey, This is an update on hos he is doing. This little disease gets him over night. This disease is like ripping him apart. Parts of his find agre really clear and falling apart over night. I have no idea what he has but the Maracyn 2 is not working at all. He has gotten worse over night. I tested my water and everything is fine. I have a feeling he will go in this week because this is progressing RAPIDLY. He is not eating and he is still breathing very heavy. When he dies, I will probably end up just buying some Tropical Fish and not bettas.
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #12 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Sorry to hear that.

Do you have a good tropical fish store near you? If you can bring a picture (or the fish) in to them they might be able to diagnose what he has and treat it accordingly. You should probably bring in a water sample from the tank too.

I had to do the same a few weeks back bc I have one male also in a 5 gal who keeps getting the same symptoms over and over despite everything I've been treating him with.

They gave me a sulphur based med. which treats gram-positive & gram-negative bacterias - similar to the Maracyn combo. As for Maracyn 2, I really don't know if using it without the other is effective for what your guy has but figured it was better than nothing.

I hope you can save your buddy.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #13 
ChristinaRoss

i agree, take him to the store and see if they can help identify exactly what this is
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #14 
bettaowner101

I have some very Terrible News. My betta died today when I was at school. His tail was just getting worse and worse. Maybe he was free for a reason. My water was fine so idk how he could have gotten sick because of my water. I think he was a weak fish to begin with. I am going to start over again with some Tropicals such as Guppies.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your betta!! I know you tried very hard to help him get well. He was a lucky fish to have someone who cared about him so much.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #16 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I'm so sorry about your betta!! I know you tried very hard to help him get well. He was a lucky fish to have someone who cared about him so much.

Yeah, I tried treating him with Maracyn 2 that was recommended and it did no good. I think he was weak to start out with which was probably why he was free. I am thinking about starting a 5 gallon with Mollies and Guppies. How does that sound?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds good to me.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #18 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Sounds good to me.
Would the Male Guppies be fine in a 5 gallon with a Power Filter? Will they get sucked up? My Aunt told me that I could keep 3 Guppies with 2 Mollies.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm not sure how many you can keep in a 5 gallon or about a filter. Someone else will have to tell you.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #20 
bettaowner101

Quote:
I'm not sure how many you can keep in a 5 gallon or about a filter. Someone else will have to tell you.

OK. I was just wondering because Guppies are pretty small so I was just wondering. I think that 3 Guppies and 2 Mollies would be fine because they are smaller fish and they are peacefull. My aunt is really good with Tropical Fish too.