betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:42 AM   #11 
girlofgod

no, i will have to look into those...
Old 08-31-2006, 08:43 AM   #12 
usmc121581
Banned

It seems to keep my betta's colors bright.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #13 
zeb_nz

I think the problem may be deeper than just color fading, can you post pics of your fish? will you be able to do what I said above?
Old 08-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #14 
girlofgod

um..no...i just bought the 10 gal tank i have and dont have the money to upgrade the 1-gallon...he has lived in it for some time now and seemed to be fine...anyways...i was hoping it could be somthing in the way of a food i could give him...

these two arent that good, but you can see his fins kinda..

these are the better pics..

bri
Old 08-31-2006, 05:17 PM   #15 
zeb_nz

can he go in the 10 gal? he looks stressed. im going to get one for i bed side room, just a male and a small snail. But i think the tank is to small and it dosnt like it.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:25 PM   #16 
Nick

How in the world can you even tell if the fish is stressed? Are you just assuming................
Old 08-31-2006, 06:40 PM   #17 
girlofgod

well, you tell me if he can go in the 10 gallon, i have 3 danios, one of them being long-finned, 2 male swordtails, and a male platy...if im not mistaken, this is a male betta and it would be detrimental at this point to put him into a community tank after he is accustomed to solitude, not to mention he would think that the other members with long fins were competition and most likely attack them...

bri
Old 08-31-2006, 06:42 PM   #18 
zeb_nz

it looks to me like a violet betta: This color form is largely blue with violet undetoans. However , the pattering and intensity varies greatly, enabling individuals to be easily distinguished.

it looks strest to me because from a chart is shows these disease:

Neon Tetra disease - Neon tetras and related species - Loss of colors and white under the skin. Caused by a microsporan parasite. - Treatment not possible

but its not a tetra so it cannot be that.

Chlorine poisoning - all fish at risk
- fish appear pale and covered in mucus; some show redness on parts of the body. Often seamed stressed rubbing against rock work and swimming erratically - Immediately remove fish to a tank containing chlorine-free water.

it could be that.

Fin rot - all fish - Erosion of the edges of the fins, often with some reddening suggesting inflammation - Check and improve the water quality as necessary.

This is why betta's should not be kept in small tanks, they need good water like any other fish involved in the hobby, this is not a personal attack but I feel that you should not have a betta in a 1 gal bowl.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:55 PM   #19 
girlofgod

well, im sorry about that...being newer to the fish keeping hobby i was just mimicking what i saw others doing with their bettas...in fact, mine has more room than most...most people house them in small glass jars or vases...hardly as much room as a one gallon tank...as for the chlorine poisoning...that is quite possible as the pollutants in my water seem very high and i have never treated his tank other than recently...i have been adding stress coat/betta coat to it when i do a water change...but i usually change ALL of the water every month, and rinse off the rocks as well, i didnt know anything about bio filters before now, so now that i think about all the trouble i am having to go through for my tropicals, i can see why he might not be doing so well..i guess he deserves the same treatment they do...i was pretty naive last year when i got him and thought that all i would have to do was feed him...lol

bri
Old 08-31-2006, 06:57 PM   #20 
joeshmoe

my sister has had a betta for a year and his color has look "stressed" for 1 year. he lives in vase he gets water changes when sis remembers too and he great not and dead. I think it has to do something with the breed of it.
Closed Thread