Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:01 PM   #21 
zeb_nz

sorry if I was rude, but research is the key. Any chance that you could move him into the 10 gal with some peaceful mates like a BN or corys.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:19 PM   #22 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Bri, I'd moved the betta in your 10 gallons tank instead. Looking at your sig, none of the fish can nip. Pls provide floating plants for him to take refuge. Elodea densa is ok.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:51 PM   #23 
zeb_nz

you will see its colors come back in a while if you do to.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:12 PM   #24 
Lupin

Enough.

I'll try to clear out some of the facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb_nz
Neon Tetra disease - Neon tetras and related species - Loss of colors and white under the skin. Caused by a microsporan parasite. - Treatment not possible

but its not a tetra so it cannot be that.
NTD is caused by Plistophora. The info isn't even enough.
Symptoms: white patches(color appears to be deleted), curved spine, restlessness at night while the others are inactive
This disease can infect other fishes like danios so tetras are not the only ones. Fortunately, cardinal tetras are immune to NTD.
NTD is spread via cannibalism so afflicted fish should be quarantined immediately. Even if you are not certain that it is NTD, it's best to quarantine the fish and check daily for symptoms. If confirmed as NTD, euthanize it immediately and clean the hospital tank thoroughly.

There is a false NTD which is often "columnaris". Columnaris is characterized by white mouth, white-edged scales and clamped fins. As I said, quarantine the afflicted fish to see if the fish is positively infected with NTD.

For chlorine poisoning, it could be unless Bri is using dechlorinator to remove the chlorine.

Quote:
sorry if I was rude, but research is the key. Any chance that you could move him into the 10 gal with some peaceful mates like a BN or corys.
A bristlenose shouldn't really be kept in a 10 gallons. They can reach 5-6 inches max.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #25 
zeb_nz

Quote:
you will see its colors come back in a while if you do to.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:16 PM   #26 
zeb_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlofgod
water seem very high and i have never treated his tank other than recently...i have been adding stress coat/betta coat to it when i do a water change...but i usually change ALL of the water every month, and rinse off the rocks as well, i didnt know anything about bio filters before now, so now that i think about all the trouble i am having to go through for my tropicals, i can see why he might not be doing so well..i guess he deserves the same treatment they do...i was pretty naive last year when i got him and thought that all i would have to do was feed him...lol

bri
Blue is this what you wanted?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:23 PM   #27 
Lupin

@ Bri: Bri, it may be possible that it's indeed chlorine poisoning. Best is you buy a dechlorinator and move the betta to the 10 gallons tank.
As for cleaning the decors, there's no need for you to clean them. But if you try to clean the, pls use the tankwater which you remove during water changes.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:28 PM   #28 
joeshmoe

if cant get a dechlorinator soon then you can let the water sit for 24 hours. ~joe~
Old 08-31-2006, 09:41 PM   #29 
zeb_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe
if cant get a dechlorinator soon then you can let the water sit for 24 hours. ~joe~

im not to shore if that works, I was told 7 days in sunlight to remove chlorine? a BN would be happy in a 10 gal if its the only one on the tank floor. BN grow to around 10 cm, and if it gets to big then you could always take it back for a smaller one.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #30 
Lupin

Quote:
im not to shore if that works, I was told 7 days in sunlight to remove chlorine? a BN would be happy in a 10 gal if its the only one on the tank floor. BN grow to around 10 cm, and if it gets to big then you could always take it back for a smaller one.
Chlorine is a gas so it should dissipate in 24 hours.
As for bristlenose, I don't recommend returning the fish to your lfs once you buy it. A fish should be given the best care once it reaches the new owner's hand.
Closed Thread