Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #1 
kingofburgerz

Smile Considering Betta fish

Hi this is my first post and I might get betta fish I'm thinking of a 10 gallon setup with some females and some suitable males. Any suggestions?
kingofburgerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #2 
bettaowner101

Males and females CANNOT live peacefully together. Females CAN live together peacefully and research on what fish are compatable with Bettas because I forgot lol
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #3 
kingofburgerz

ok thanks!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #4 
dr2b

Addition to what was said before....females live peacefully when in groups of 4 OR MORE in a 10 gallon tank or larger.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #5 
kingofburgerz

What i read is that you can have up to one female per gallon is that true?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #6 
Betta Slave

I'm quite new at being a betta owner, and my advice might be slightly off, but I wouldn't. That would make for a rather crowded aquarium.
Again, this is just MY opinion. I'm new, too.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #7 
AlexXx

The rule of thumb generally is 1 inch of a fish per Gallon, most female betta are 2-2.5 inches, but they can be more and less, i have a female larger than most of my males, shes a bit more than 3, also some one else on here has a HUGE female. Also the more female's in a crowded space will make more aggression and because there is less room for them to hide. If you are going to start a Sorority Tank (female betta tank) I suggest many decorations, dense plants, and lots of hidey holes! A 10 gallon is a perfect size for a starter tank i think. Its what i started with and still have and love! At my tanks peak i kept 6 females , i wouldnt go more than that though. What i have learned is you really have to watch them for a few weeks, and honestly i think they can go hostile at any given time if they get aggrivated or threatened. From my expericance no type or size has a different. My larger female got along with my tiny females just fine, darker with lighter, crown with veil tails. I would make sure you are seeing each fish eat. If you have a few that wont eat, i would suggest putting them in a bowl or cup for a while and teaching them that the pellet and you and your fingers are good!!! they bring food! Then re-releasing them. Also Ghost shrimp add some fun flair to a tank. My girls love inspecting them. I had a few chomped. But they are cheap! 10 for $1.00 around here... so thats awesome. Also if you have moss or marimo balls in your tank they can keep them clean looking with no poo or debris on them. Here is a Shot of tank as of a month ago, it is now a little more dense, the wisteria in the back has grown, i have sprouted a new bulb, and took out that fake looking one middle right, and it has these cool lily pads at the top all the way from the bottom and the red plant in the back left has really flourished! I plant on adding some kind of fore ground plant, prob Echinodorus tenellus.

Last edited by AlexXx; 12-07-2009 at 11:54 PM.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #8 
dr2b

I agree with what AlexXx said...he pretty much has it covered. On the forum somewhere there is a sticky with how to start and keep a sorority...you may want to check it out.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Here is the sticky on female betta sororities.http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...rorities-29402
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Welcome to the forum! As it was said above, males and females can't live together. You can divide the tank with dividers and put a male and female in a tank, but they can't roam around freely unless you wanted to breed. And Alex explained everything about the female sorority. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, firsttime, fish, soritory