Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #1 
JaspersANGEL

bored fish!

Jasper looks bored at times, I'm ashamed to admit I haven't had alot of time to spend with him. When I'm reading in my room he's so happy he dances around and works on his bubble nest. I'm afraid that he's so bored he's nibbling on his tail.
I read on here somewhere I think that a person has a ping-pong ball in they'r tank, I may trie that and im just wondering what other games can I play with him...
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #2 
Jupiter

You only have one betta? If you had more, you could split the tank or move the two tanks together so the bettas could see each other and have 'company'.

I've never tried a ping pong ball. You can also try holding up a mirror for a few minutes a day. What sort of plants/decorations do you have in your tank?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

I have one betta yes, and i have him in a 2.5 gallon so I dunno if it's big enough to split, plus im still not a 100% on the whole idea of putting two betta's in the same tank so they can see eachother all the time and have them flare all the time, isn't flaring 24/7 bad for them.

I do have jasper's old tank, that 1/2 gallon betta cove thing. Could i maybe put anything in there for him to look at.

I do let him flare infront of a miror sometimes. Plus i have 1 silk plant and 1 plastic betta plant and 1 rock cave that he sleeps in.

Last edited by JaspersANGEL; 12-06-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #4 
DragonFish

I've heard of the ping-pong ball method, been meaning to try that....if you do, let me know how it works out! :D

Another thing you can do is put things around the tank, like action figures, a picture....something for them to look at. I only have two bettas who are alone in their own tank(for now), Sasuke and Smore. Sasuke lives next to my computer(where I spend a good portion of my time)so he always gets to watch me. Smore is on my dresser and I always set decorations and all sorts of things up there for him to investigate. Like now I have a small fake Christmas tree right next to his tank, and hes rather fascinated by it.

Usually in a divided tank, the bettas will eventually become used to one another after a little while and you want to put plants up to break up the line of site, but they also keep one another entertained with occasional flaring and things of that nature. At least, mine do

A 1/2 gallon is too small for anything to live in long-term. Its fine for temp. housing for a betta if you have NOTHING else, but otherwise they're pretty useless.....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #5 
JaspersANGEL

I looked at my tank and honestly i think it's cruel to devide it, i could devide it but one of the guys will be stuck with a smaller space cause of the filter and the heater besides jasper likes his home to much to share and will defend it if he has too.

I will have to find my big power bar, cause im missing on outlets in my room and look into another 2.5 gallon...

2.5 gallons are the smallest tanks you can keep a betta in i think..

off topic question: i replaced my carbon filter cartridge for a foam one cause right now jasper's being treated for fin rot, after the fin rot is done and i replace the sick foam cartridge thing..can a filter run on foam only, will it be bad for the fish...
I have a Mini Bow Quiet Flow Filter
Old 12-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #6 
ChristinaRoss

great advice dragonfish
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #7 
AlexXx

Shrimp usually keep some of mine entertained unless they are chomping on them!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maybe try a new decoration or rearranging the tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #9 
CodeRed

I've used the ping pong method, but only one of my bettas even looked at it ): What I've discovered my bettas like are markers and other colorful objects placed around their tank. They'll stare at them for minutes, then move on to the next one. Another thing is, if you don't want to divide, is to simply put two tanks next to each other. All of my bettas except two have at least one partner, and they're all kept very happy and busy. My bettas LOVE flaring at each other, and I think they would be rather depressed if I moved them now (:
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #10 
JaspersANGEL

I found an other power cord..so ya I'm hoping I can get another betta, now I just need another tank, a heater and a thermometer *lol* :)