Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #1 
Moirica

Torn fins...

So I've been noticing that my little Fred, only three days in his new home, is getting more and more tears in his fins. I'm sure that it's one of the plants but my problem is that I don't know which one, they are all plastic. I don't want him to get hurt but I also don't want to deprive him of all of his plants.
Moirica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #2 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirica View Post
So I've been noticing that my little Fred, only three days in his new home, is getting more and more tears in his fins. I'm sure that it's one of the plants but my problem is that I don't know which one, they are all plastic. I don't want him to get hurt but I also don't want to deprive him of all of his plants.
Hello. I am in Calgary and could give you a few free live plants. You could also visit my betta farm and I could give you a few care tips while here.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #3 
Moirica

Are live plants easy to take care of? I've never had anything like them before.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #4 
logisticsguy

Super easy. I don't do anything for these plants, they are tough as shoe leather and will help improve water quality.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #5 
Moirica

Alright then. Thanks! I appreciate it.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #6 
Moirica

I just watched as Fred managed to wedge himself into his little pagoda ornament. I saw him swim through it today and I didn't realize he could get himself inside of it. The opening is big enough to swim through but not much bigger. He managed it somehow though and promptly wiggled his way out when I came to look.

It does make me wonder if that's how he tore his top fin. Silly boy. At least he is not obsessively glass surfing today. He still does a bit but he spent much more time exploring the tank today instead and he ate too.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #7 
Steffily

keep the water clean so the wound wont be infected, my boy's dorsal fin was teared last week too, he is healing really good now, 1/3 done :D
Steffily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #8 
Moirica

I've been testing the water quite regularly (like every day cause I didn't exactly cycle the tank before putting him in there) and the levels are near zero still. I'm keeping a close eye though. He only tore it recently. Like, yesterday his fin was fine and today there is a huge tear. I have no clue how he did it.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #9 
Pumpkin

I would really suggest getting either live or silk plants. You should really take out the plastic ones, he is better off going a few days without them and not hurting himself rather than leaving him and letting his fins/tail get damaged more. He could get fin rot through the tears too especially since you're still cycling your tank.
Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #10 
Moirica

I'm working towards changing them Pumpkin. I'm going to see if I can find some cheaper silk ones today and then I should hopefully be getting some live as well thanks to logisticsguy.