Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #1 
chi

new betta doesnt like food

I just got a new betta yesterday he seems hungry but Im not sure he likes his food. He swims over to it takes it in and spits it out over and over and then he just leaves it alone. I tried soaking it bot in some plain tank water and also in garlic water. I did get him to eat a little brine shrimp, but only 1 very small piece. BTW its omega 1 that I gave him.
chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #2 
VivianKJean

not eating is extremely common for new fish. Stick with the pellets until you can get him to eat them. Drop one in, if he eats it offer another. If he doesn't, remove it from the tank and try again at the next feeding. Eventually he will eat it.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #3 
chi

Name:  betta.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  34.9 KBI knew that some times they didnt want to eat, but he is so intent on trying to eat the pellet that I thought it was weird if he had just not seemed interested it would have made sense but trying to eat it multiple times and spitting it out had me concerned but thanks Ill give it a few days and see what happens.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #4 
Ilovebettasbk11
Banned

Bettas are such picky eaters ugh mine was i switched his food not worried anymore
Ilovebettasbk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:32 AM   #5 
sainthogan

My first female Fishy would only eat flakes, it took me FOREVER for her to eat pellets. Some fish are just extremely picky. If you feed him treats, and not his regular food, it's going to be even harder to get him to eat the pellets. Don't give any other food until he starts eating pellets. Be patient, it could take a week or more. It took me almost 3 weeks to get Fishy to eat pellets.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:24 AM   #6 
Tress

sometimes the pellets are too big, maybe could try NLS or Omega one Mirco colour pellets (I think thats the one, not sure). I know for my guys I was cutting things up a 1mm, then i got .5mm pellet from NorthFin. They go crazy for it and it's easy to feed. Ironically one of my bettas has trouble seeing it because its small so I have to put it on my finger or hover my finger over it for him to see it.

Such finicky things our bettas are :P
Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #7 
chi

they can be so picky I tried crushing it still didnt like Omega one so I had some aqueon ,not my 1st choice, i got him to eat one. still going to try getting him on omega 1 if I can but at least he ate something. thanks everyone
Old 11-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #8 
DWS

+1 to all the responses.

I don't have much to add but went through a similar experience recently. My buddy wouldn't eat the NLS, even if I soaked or made them smaller. He likes the Hikari Bio-Gold, soaked in garlic juice (I use Garlic Guard). I'm getting some Omega One to try because I heard the Hikari isn't the highest quality anymore.

At one point, my fish only wanted bloodworms. I held off feeding him about a day and half and then he got excited about pellets again. Sometimes, you have to try tough love!
DWS is offline   Reply With Quote