Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #1 
Corin

Help!!

Hi all, I have more than likely caused the problem but please help me rectify it!
My halfmoons tail has been ripped by his wives, I have now seperated them but will his finage repair and or do I need to treat him!
Corin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

How many bettas are you keeping in a single tank? Males and females should never be kept together unless they have been properly conditioned to breed; he should be moved to his own tank.

The best treatment for torn fins is clean water, so stay on top of water changes while he heals and, depending on the size of the tank, whether it is cycled, etc., you may want to add an extra water change to your schedule as he heals. A small amount of aquarium salt can also be used to help prevent infection, but do not use it if there are tankmates that may be harmed by salt (frogs, some catfish, etc.) and do not use for more than 7--10 days.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 02-25-2015 at 02:32 PM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #3 
Corin

I have two females that are juveniles to one adult male. I have selperated him from them and I may possibly take the girls back to the shop where I had bought them from. Will also get some salt for him. I feel very responsible for this happening - heart ruled common sense as they a so beautiful would be gutted if I lost him now.will keep you posted.
Corin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #4 
Greenapp1es

I'm sorry...but you need to separate all 3 fish right away.

Males and females should *never* be kept together.

Females can *only* be kept together if you have a sorority of 5 or more in a well planted tank of at least 10 gallons.

Females can be just as aggressive as males, so your current setup is risky to *all* of your fish.
Greenapp1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #5 
Greenapp1es

As for your boy...if it's just torn fins he will probably recover. Keep him in warm, clean water. Aquarium salt can help as described above. You could also add rooibos tea or Indian almond leaf to help speed healing along as well.
Greenapp1es is offline   Reply With Quote