Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #1 
SweetnSpicy

Best Meds?

Well, Banana has bloody tips on his fins and a mark on his head, and I have no idea why. His tank mates are 3 neons, and 2 TINY clown loaches. There are also a bunch of live plants in there, java moss and fern, elodea, banana lilies, ect... and safe ornaments I guess you would call them..

my uncle helped me pick them out, because he had a 155gal for about 4 years, and dealt with all kinds of fish haha. Hopefully he was a good adviser..

Anyway, I have some melafix, which I would use 1/2 the does of to make bettafix, but I do not like them because I have heard they damage betta's Labyrinth organ.

Are there any other meds that are "betta safe"? I would love to hopefully order it soon, or drop hints for Christmas lol.

Thanks for your time!
-SnS
SweetnSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maracyn 1 and 2 are good to have. Jungle Fungus Eliminator and Jungle Fungus Clear are also good meds.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

I read that too that bettafix and melafix are bad for betta's, I dunno about pimafix tho..someone say's that one's bad too. Sadly I didn't know that at the time and when my baby had fin rot I bought a small bottle of betta fix, now I know and when that bottle run's out I won't buy any more!!
Sorry Jasper..hope you can forgive me!! :(
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #4 
SweetnSpicy

Wow, I am so sorry about how my post was so choppy!

@ DQ - I looked for Maracyn at petco and my LPS, but maybe it was out of stock I can always check again. Or my Semi-Local Fish store. Thanks for the help~

@ JaspersANGLE - Yeah, I didn't really read up on it until after I bought Melafix. I hope Jasper's Fin Rot clears up soon! I know there aren't really any -healthy- meds for betta's when it is something not-so-serious like fin rot.....
SweetnSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #5 
WeLoveSparkle

Tetra Lifeguard all-in-one treatment is AWESOME!!! Brought our betta back from the brink!!
WeLoveSparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #6 
bettaowner101

Jungle Fungus Eliminator, Jungle Fungus Clear, Maracyn 1 and 2 are all very good strong meds to have.
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #7 
JaspersANGEL

Well he's done treatment, but his tail is so short still that he look's like a crowntail when he's a veiltail *lol* I dunno if he'll ever get that long flowing tail back . But I don't care, as long as he's healthy that's the important thing :)
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #8 
kelly528

Whoa unless he has a parasite or an aggressive bacterial infection, there are only 3 meds I would ever use:

-Clean, warm water!
-Aquarium salt!
-Nutritious foods!

Use these unless you see white fluff and then and only then resort to meds. All of the meds listed are antibiotics and will not do a thing for an injury. When you see blood, it is an injury!

QT him immediately, the neons have been nipping his fins because you aren't keeping them in a large enough school. Unless you keep them in groups of at least 6 they will try to school with other species of fish which usually ends up as chasing and harassing them.

Then add salt, crank the heat to 82 and keep the tank nice and dark so as not to stress him. You can also add stress-coat, it is my favorite for wounds. He should be fine in a month or so.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote