Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #1 
bettabeauty

Betta with a cloudy eye?

Before I left for work this morning, I noticed that Atlantis has a cloudy dot covering one of his eyes right in the center of it. Unfortunately, when I came home, it was still there. I'm very concerned that he's sick with something.

What is it, and what can I do to make it go away??

He is in a community tank with Titan (other betta) and three snails.

Thanks!
bettabeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Jungle Fungus Eliminator can be used to treat cloudy eyes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #3 
ChristinaRoss

some info i found for you, i hope it helps:

Several things can cause cloudy eyes in aquarium fish. Internal parasites, such as protozoa or flukes, are one cause. Another is the onset of cataracts in fish. I'm not aware of any treatments for those problems. Bacteria can infect fish eyes damaged by injury. Treatment with a good antibiotic should cure these infections. Dietary deficiencies, such as lack of vitamin A, may contribute to poor fish eye health.
The most common cause of cloudy eyes in aquarium fish seems to be poor water quality, especially when the ph drops too low. Check the pH of your aquarium. If it's below 6.8, and especially if it's below 6.4, change more water more often. If it's as I suspect, that's all you need to do. The aquarium fish will heal right up without medication. If that doesn't do it, choose one of the treatments above.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #4 
bettabeauty

I just tested the water two days ago. The ph is 7.6... really, really high!

Should I separate Atlantis from the aquarium to do the treatments or should I treat the whole aquarium, since I have Titan on the other side?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #5 
ChristinaRoss

if its divided tank id treat the whole tank..........its got to be affecting both sides, just one fish may be stronger than the other

check the ph of your tapwater straight outa the faucet. find out if its the tank or the tap water thats the problem. some tapwater is high in ph, if it is youll need to be adjusting that for the fish. if it isnt the tap water, good news, then id remove the fish, treat the tank and get it under control first

7.6 isnt that high really, and not for a betta.........

what are u treating it with?
ph down? do it VERY slowly, so they dont go into shock, id check the tapwater first, if isnt the tapwater, then do a big water change and then treat with the jfe

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-10-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #6 
bettabeauty

Christina- The tap water is already at 7.6. I checked. I don't understand, if its not "that high" for a betta, then can't I just leave it at 7.6? I've had my bettas since Oct 1st and I've been treating the water exactly the same... I can't remember the name of what I'm using off hand... some sort of salts, as well as something that starts off "Nu.." in a bottle, brownish liquid...sound familiar? It says it is supposed to "treat" the water.

Do you think the ph level might be causing the fish problems?

I've read that driftwood can naturally lower the ph, and I wouldn't have to worry about treating the water every couple days. Have you heard of this? Could this work?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #7 
bettabeauty

Also, is the Fungus Eliminator the only thing that I need to get that might cure this?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I have a betta with cloudy eyes that i've been treating with everything under the sun (JFC, JFE, Bettafix). Not to say that these aren't good, it just didn't clear up whatever my buddy has.

I finally brought his cute betta butt into the fish store and they gave me some sulphur based stuff which works like the Maracyn combination. I've just stopped the treatment yesterday so crossing fingers but it seems a bit better. And my ph is right about the same as yours out of the tap - 7.6 and all of my other bettas are just fine.

It's called Furan-2. If you don't have succes with what you have on hand, give something like that a try. Hopefully you have a good fish store near you with people who have some knowledge of these things (unlike a lot of the chain stores)

Good luck.

Last edited by Romad; 12-10-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: adding thought
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #9 
ChristinaRoss

your correct i personally wouldnt treat the ph to lower it, and yes driftwood can lower ph naturally.

he MIGHT just have cataracts, if the jungle fungus elimantor doesnt help

i aslo agree with trying what romad suggested