Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #1 
rocktrns

Help me upgrade my betta?

Help me upgrade my betta?

I have a 1.5 gallon tank,and I plan on getting a 5 gallon tank!
This one http://www.petco.com/product/13809/Marin…
I have one betta,but I plan on adding a few other fish after my betta has got comfrotable with its new 5 gallon tank.
How would I go about setting up his new home,and how long will it take?
will I need to cycle it if so Please tell me how!
rocktrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #2 
ChristinaRoss

id highly recommend cycling, especially if your adding other fish too.

The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

id cycle it before adding fish, you could cycle with the betta, but i definately wouldnt with all the fish you want at once. its too much for the system to establish and would overwhelm it and the fish would more than likely get sick and die.

id only recommend 2-3 fish with a betta in that tank. otherwise itll be overstocked. and the choices are limited for what a betta can go with in that size especially. maybe a couple african dwarf frogs, OR a snail or two, OR a couple otos, OR a couple tetras, OR maybe some white clouds.... i would only recommend 2-3 of these fish whatever they type. they ofeten do best with their own kind, not singly. so get 2-3 of the same kind.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #3 
kelly528

Finding tankmates for a betta in anything under 10g is a tough call... There are tons of schooling fish such as rasboras, tetras and danios that would not overburden the tank in a group of 2 or 3, but the problem is this:

Rasboras, tetras and danios are schooling fish that do not fare well in a group of 5 or less. They school in large groups for security and when they do not have a big enough group, they try to school with other species in the tank so that they can avoid predation. So how do they treat the 'school'? They chase and nip them. So if you put an inadequate amount of these guys with a slow-moving fish with long, flowy fins you are whipping up a recipe for disaster.

I suggest you stick with inverts such as ghost shrimp, cherry shrimp (your betta may eat these), ramshorn snails, mystery snails or nerite snails. I highly recommend nerite snails because not only are they the clenest snails, they are also the best algae eaters. Most pet stores sell them as 'Zebra Snails'. Ghost shrimp are probably your second best bet, or you could also divide the tank and stock another betta!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:23 AM   #4 
velocitygirl

otos are great tankmates for bettas,they like groups(3 is ok)and they eat green and brown algae,but that never means you dont have to clean. but if you get the ten gallon not the five yyour choices get much wider.not to mention the biger the tank the easier the up-keep(more water means it needs fewer water changes)a five gallon you might be changing the water, 10-15%, twice a week,where a ten will more than likely just need one.but that is all on how you stock your tank.if i were you i would spend the extra few dollars on the 10gl, i bet it even uses the same filter media refills,same price to up keep,as the 5.oh and WELCOME!
velocitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #5 
rocktrns

Yeah my dads going to get me a 10 gallon
Old 12-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #6 
kelly528

You could probably get away with a school of peaceful tetras or rasboras in there, or perhaps 4 or 5 panda cories.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #7 
ChristinaRoss

for a 10 gallon, personally i cant say id have a betta AND 5 cories......cories can get 2-3" each
and the betta will get to be around 3" too
thast about 13" - 18" of fish, typically in a small tropical tank you have a total bioload of around 10"
thats a little overstocked in MY opinion
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #8 
rocktrns

Then what do you reccomend?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #9 
Jynx

the corys are really interesting little fish and tend to be nocturnal- so they're getting active around when your betta is getting sleepy so that might cut back on incidents. I had a little school of them back when i had my 50 gallon turtle tank.

a lot of it depends on how interested your betta is in picking on other fish- and how you decorate it- if you make it easy enough for them to hide from him.

course with a ten gallon you have the option of sectioning off a 2 or 3 gallon portion for your betta and putting whatever you want in the remaining area where they'll be safe from his aggressive tendencies.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cories are a schooling fish and do better in groups of at least 4.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote