Betta Fish Forum banner

getting ready to start....

789 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ChristinaRoss 
#1 ·
ok some of you have read my other posts about the move and starting up more tanks when we get settled in and the potential fish room so i am not going to repeat all of those details here.... however i have some things i would like to ask about......
i want to really start getting into Betta's ....and eventually possible breed them for people in my area who have really little resources to get good fish (i dont mind traveling a bit to get mine)..
so here is a potential starting set up i had in mind let me know what you think and any opinions you may have..
2-1 gal, 2-2gal with sponge filters and heaters for one male each
2-10 gal with sponge filters and heaters for 4-5 females each
very little to no substrate and a flower pot on its side for a hiddy hole per-fish
the other idea was to do away with the two 1 gals and do a three way divide for a ten for the males my only issue is with the type of divider i use they plastic canvas has holes and i sont want them flaring at each other all day and stressing them selves out......
now one other idea i would like to throw out here is if i go with strictly 10's and over time have 4 or more wouldn't it be worth my time to sump them all to one filtration unit and use the 2 gals as QT for new fish or sick ones? i have a great plan for a multi-tank sump system and think the Betta's would enjoy the cleaner water... with a gentle return to reduce current of course..

See less See more
#2 ·
I think dividing a 10 gallon 3 ways would be best. That way, each fish would have 3.something gallons to live in. Yes, plastic canvas has holes and they can see each other but as long as they have places to hide like plants and decorations, they should be fine. You can also put plants along the dividers so they can't see each other real well. Also, make sure the divider is secure. They can and do get to the other side and fight. I have males in containers right next to each other and they ignore each other. I hope this helps!

#4 · (Edited)
i have 10 gallon tanks divided for 4 males in each, they flare, they calm down, depends on their moods i guess lol
you can see my 10 gallons in my profile, hit the aquariums button to the left <--------------
a bit of flaring i think is good for them, its exercise

a sump is good, if you have the know how, the time and the money, nothing wrong with that

good luck with and post pics after its completed, we love pics lol

#5 ·
oh and have a plan what to do with all the fry, breed out tanks, and lots and lots of containers for when u need to separate them, until they are sold

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.