Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #1 
jenniferfabian

Exclamation HELP! Can't tell what disease Cheech has!!

My betta Cheech has had a white spot on his head for about a week or two. I've tried to touch him to see if it would bump off but he's really fast and I don't think I ever could get at it.

I've read the betta fish disease and treatment thread but I can't really determine if he has a "true fungal infection" or "ick". I'm beginning to get really worried about him but the strange thing is he is not showing any sign of the symptoms of either illness .

He eats all the food I give him (3 Aqueon betta food pellets and one Nutrafin basix dried blood worm twice daily), is VERY active, doesn't scratch on any of his decor (I know because I am in my room with him almost all day as he lives on my computer desk) and he doesn't have clamped fins.

There is one tiny little white spot that just appeared within the past two days on the very end of his bottom fin.

Can someone please help me? I've had him since October 2013 and really have grown attached to him. By the way, I just did a 100% water change on the 19th.

I am very very sad about this...

Last edited by jenniferfabian; 01-22-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add image
jenniferfabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #2 
Aus

Ich tends to spread -very- quickly, I would think weeks later it woud have produced more than two spots. So I am supposing - not ich.

If it was a bacterial issue (called 'fungus' but it isn't), I would expect weeks later to be seeing a droopy, ill fish.

I think I may be looking at a -true- fungus, probably white water mold.. maybe. There seems to be a lot of it about right now, and it can be very opportunistic, latching onto small wounds where the old tissue is dead or dying (like a scab or the edges of a healing/old wound, fins with rot issues).

Why I think this is - there's several illness which produce white patches and spots, but most are pretty aggressive. The saprolegnia (water mold) fungus can appear and disappear, and hang about for months on end looking like nothing much, before finally attacking living tissue.

I'd like to see what others think, but that's my call.

I'd like to know how the spots look, in general - soft and slightly fuzzy, quite furry, pr flat and 'hard', whatever.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #3 
jenniferfabian

Housing

What size is your tank? : 2.5 gallon

What temperature is your tank? : 77 F

Does your tank have a filter? : it does but I do not use it

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? : no

Is your tank heated? : no. It stays the temperature it's at by use of a space heater in my room

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? : none

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? : 3 Aqueon Betta Food pellets and 1 Nutrafin basix dried Blood Worm

How often do you feed your betta fish? : twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? : every two weeks

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? : 100% change but not sure if this is a good idea (?)

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? : I use Topfin Betta Water Conditioner. The bottle says 48 drops per one US gallon, but I only add 40 drops for my 2.5 gallon tank. I thought that adding 80+ drops was crazy sounding but maybe I should be listening to the bottle...(?)

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? : Yes, I have had it tested once at my local Petsmart. The results were perfect but I do not know where I put the result paper. I will look for it and edit this post if I find it.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? : No; just the addition of two cotton-y looking spots.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? : No; he is just as active and eats like normal.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? : The spot on his head has been there almost two weeks. I thought i'd wait it out and see if it could go away on its own.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? : I haven't started a treatment yet. I thought I would get some advice here first. I'm very nervous to start a treatment and hurt him.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? : I don't think so. He's always seemed happy, energetic and healthy. He looks a whole lot different from when I bought him thought. He was labeled as a female at Petsmart but I'm pretty sure from what i've read on this site that "she" was in fact a "he".

How old is your fish (approximately)? : I bought him in October 2013...but I have no idea how long he was on the shelf at Petsmart. He was one of the ones near the back of the display so maybe he was there longer (?)
Old 01-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #4 
Aus

Quote:
How often do you perform a water change? : every two weeks
^ I would probably be doing 2 changes a week at least on an unfiltered 2.5 gallon tank, both 30%-50% with a good gravel vac at least once. Consistently clean water will stress your fish out a lot less than high ammonia levels and 100% sudden changes.

If the patches are cottony, it surely is not ich. Most likely water mold, feeding off tissue affected by ammonia damage or small injuries.

-Maybe- a bacterial issue. But I'm leaning toward not.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

It is possible to get a multi cure that targets all sorts of fungals (this isn't bacterial, I concur with Aus there)

I am more liberal with these multis than I am with antibiotics anyway since fish don't have natural fungal flora and use their slime coat. A dose of one of those may yield results.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #6 
jenniferfabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
^ I would probably be doing 2 changes a week at least on an unfiltered 2.5 gallon tank, both 30%-50% with a good gravel vac at least once. Consistently clean water will stress your fish out a lot less than high ammonia levels and 100% sudden changes.

If the patches are cottony, it surely is not ich. Most likely water mold, feeding off tissue affected by ammonia damage or small injuries.

-Maybe- a bacterial issue. But I'm leaning toward not.
Alright, I will start off by doing 30% changes twice per week. Is a gravel vac just cleaning up the feces? I bought a turkey baster to do that with that I do in the meanwhile between my water changes, so pretty much every other day.

It looks like a tiny cotton ball to me. I'll pop down to Petsmart tomorrow and look for some sort of medicine. Have you ever had this issue and could recommend a brand?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #7 
jenniferfabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeanna View Post
It is possible to get a multi cure that targets all sorts of fungals (this isn't bacterial, I concur with Aus there)

I am more liberal with these multis than I am with antibiotics anyway since fish don't have natural fungal flora and use their slime coat. A dose of one of those may yield results.
I hope it will go away with a few treatments. I've never had this issue with my past betta (of 4 years back in highschool) so I don't know a trustworthy brand. I'm going to look around the forums to see if anyone suggests anything but if not I guess i'll just grab whatever the employees suggest (but that scares me since they think it's okay to keep bettas in such sad tiny containers for so long and don't seem knowledgeable on tank sizes...)
Old 01-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #8 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Do NOT let them give you betta fix. Unlike what people suggest it is far too soft to be of any use in this situation.

I personally use blue planet but I do not know if that brand is available in your country. I have heard people on the forums talk about a jungle-something...jungle cure? Possibly that will be available
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #9 
jenniferfabian

I ended up getting a suggestion of using Nutrafin Aquarium Salt and doing a 100% water change every day. I did one last night and added the appropriate amount for my tank size. The spots haven't shrunk yet...I'm worried. The guy at Petsmart said try this for two weeks before any actual medication.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #10 
fidget

Just a comment on the water conditioner- why wouldn't you follow the directions on the bottle? They're there for a reason. Underdosing could be dangerous for your fish imo.
If you want a water conditioner you don't have to use a lot of, get Seachem Prime. The dosage is 2 drops per gallon; a bottle lasts forever.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, help betta fish, ick, please help me, sick betta