Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #1 
gadget

Hello

Hello im new to this but i read threads here. I just wanted to know if you guys would recommend buying plants for my betta. He lives in a 1 gallon bowl.8)
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #2 
Yuuki

All Bettas need a plant in their tank to make them feel safe. I wouldn't go for a living plant in a 1 gallon tank, but a nice silk plant would work. Make sure it's soft, made of silk, not plastic. The hard, plastic plants can tear their fins.

Though in a one gallon... you can't really fit more than 1 plant. Maybe two smaller ones.

The only place I've been able to find silk plants here is PetCo, and they've got a rather small selection. Wal-Mart sometimes carries some, but they aren't good quality and they break in no time.
Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #3 
velocitygirl

I have a silk plant called a soft fox tail, and it is soft enough that it won't hurt his fins, I doesn't take up a lot of space, and it is light enough that my little guy can swim through it. It comes in diff colors and sizes. The bonus is that it was under $3.. you can find a pic on blueribbonpet.com.
velocitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:43 AM   #4 
AlexXx

With one gallon, that is hardly enough for the betta to swim around and really spread his/her fins... i wouldnt suggest a plant in that small of a tank, but i would suggest a bit larger of a tank, maybe 2.5 gallons and a heater, then you could venture out and do some planting if u filtered it! :D
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #5 
velocitygirl

these are my favorite plants going. they come in all sizes,the smalls are 3-4 inches tall.perfect for a bowl or one gallon.

Blue Ribbon Pet Products
velocitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #6 
Jynx

oh- or you could get something like a little cave or interesting bit of sandstone etc if that fits better in your bowl- so long as he has a place to hide to feel secure- but always remember not to buy something with sharp edges or pokey corners or rough areas that could hurt your betta. if his fins get caught on something he could get an infection and die very quickly.
I also recommend getting a larger space for him- he'll live longer and exhibit more natural behaviors if he has a larger area to live in.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #7 
dr2b

I definitely recommend something larger. Bettas need at least 2.5 gallons to be happy.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote