When diagnosing whether a fish has velvet or not, exactly how 'dusty' should the fish look?
And how do you tell the difference between a fish that's darting around, occasionally bumping into things, basically looking playful, vs a fish that's trying to scratch itself because of the itch?
I'm worried my fish may have Velvet for these reasons:
1) He's darting around and bumping into things
2) He looks a tad dusty, just a tad.
3) This week I started getting algae in the tank, on the rocks (yellow stuff..rocks are white so it's easy to tell)
I feel like he may not have Velvet for these reasons:
1) He's eating well
2) The tank is at 82*F all the time and I do weekly water changes
3) The 'dust' is not pronounced, I really can't tell whether I'm imagining it or not. It's definitely not granular like ich, like sand/sugar/salt. If the tank light is off I can't even see it.
Last question, if I go to the pet store, tell them this, and they give me medicine, and I use the medicine and he wasn't sick after all, will he be sick from taking medicine unnecessarily?