Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #1 
jacknchloe

Angry Well I am 3 for 3

I am so angry!! Now my 3rd betta in three days has died. The first 2 i bought from petsmart and they both died yesterday. Then last night i bought one from petco (thinking that maybe the 2 from petsmart were just sick) and then this morning, he was dead!!! What is going on? I have (had) them (the first 2) in a 2.5 tank that was divided. Then when they died i took out the divider and just let the new one be by himself. All evening long last night he was just swimming around and playing and i thought for sure he was going to be fine. And yes i did a 100% water change before putting my new one in. The tank i have was bought from petco made for bettas. It came with a filter and i bought a heater to put in it and thermometer so the water is right at 78 degrees. We used nutrafin betta plus water conditioner. The directions say to use a capful for every .5 gallons so we used 4 capfuls. Is that too much? The food we used was aqueon betta food (pellets) and hbh betta color bright (flakes). My husband mentioned maybe something being wrong with our tap water. But then again i thought that was what the conditioner was for. I have no idea what is happening!!! These fish were birthday presents for me and now i don't have any of them. Does anyone have any idea what i can do? I really want to be able to get some bettas and keep them. Thanks in advance for the help. Everyone has been so nice on these boards.
jacknchloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh no! I'm so sorry. :( I was thinking that maybe it could be your water too. Water conditioner does help, but it doesn't make it 100% safe for your fish. You could get your water tested, I don't know if Petco does it.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #3 
jacknchloe

Are there any kits I can buy?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

The best kit is the API freshwater master test kit. I was thinking that maybe you forgot to add water conditioner but you said in your last post that you did use conditioner. I'm so sorry about your fish! I would get the water tested if you can.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #5 
jacknchloe

Red face

Thank you guys!! I am getting ready right now to go to Petmart to have them test my water. I just spoke to someone at the store and she said they test the water for free!! Good to know! I am kinda hoping it has been my water so I know there is something I can do about it. Either buy something to fix the problem or I could use bottled water right? Distilled?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

So sorry to hear that.

I haven't used that particular water conditioner but it seem like an awful lot for that small amount of water. Are you sure the dose is for .5 gals and not 5 gallons?

And I would do a complete scrub down of the tank and gravel or rocks before you put another betta in there just in case there is something ligering from a possible sick fish.

And yes, test your water after you let the new set up run for a day or two before adding anything.

Good luck!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #7 
jacknchloe

The instructions on the water conditioner says...one capful (5 ml) treats 2L or 0.5 U.S gallons. Am I converting this wrong? So wouldn't I need 4-5 capfuls for a 2.5 gallon tank?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #8 
ScuitoAmi150

i'd use 3-4 just to be safe
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would switch water conditioners. Prime and Aquasafe are 2 good brands.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #10 
jacknchloe

Ok..I am back from Petsmart...AGAIN!!! I did switch water conditioners. I didn't know you were supposed to wait to add the fish once you put the water conditioner in (atleast on certain brands). So, I am back with another fish (exchanged the dead one) and am going to clean out the tank and try this again.