Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2009, 03:26 AM   #1 
MarieBettaMom

George/Dorothy died

I am sad. My 4 yr old's Betta, George/Dorothy (she changed his name to Dorothy, named after Elmo's goldfish Dorothy), died today. She pointed out that there was no fish in the tank. Upon closer inspection. he had swam into his "cave" and died there. She is still trying to understand how he went to "sleep" and isn't waking up. Poor George, he hadn't been feeling well in recent days, not his usual "perky" self, and not excited about food. There was no improvement after a water change. I think he just died of old age (he was on the larger side so he definitely wasn't young when we got him).

So.... now I'm wondering what it is I need to do. I was thinking of removing George/Dorothy, cleaning out the tank, and setting everything aside for a few weeks before we put a new fish in the tank. Is there anything else I need to do?

We'll be out of town for a few days, so I thought it would be better for us to get a new fish after we return. I wanted to rescue another Betta, but my daughter said she wants a goldfish! I do not want a poopy fish, so I'll see if I can steer her back to Bettas.
MarieBettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:35 AM   #2 
Torbs

Show her a crown tail or something really outstandingly pretty and I'm sure she'll turn her back on goldfish :)
Torbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #3 
Jupiter

Goldfish need at least 10 gallons per fish anyway.Good luck!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #4 
MarieBettaMom

Yeah, I was thinking it'd be nice to get a Crown Tail. Of course they're all so sad looking in the store that DD won't actually realize how cool they are until after we've had one in our care for a few weeks.

I didn't realize goldfish needed so much more space, even a very small goldfish?
MarieBettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #5 
loppy656

ya a crown tale or half moon betta. my fishes name is dorothy after elmos gold fish! Finn my fish died last night. =(
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #6 
Elaina

Yes goldfish need A LOT of space. That very small goldfish is going to grow into a very large goldfish.
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Oh yes! My sister bought one of those little feeder goldfish for our New Years, and my dad later put it in his 75 gal. He grew to be a good 35 cm!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Wow, I had no idea that goldfish needed that much room! No wonder why my past goldfish died so quickly...
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #9 
AlexXx

just get a gold or bright orange betta! :D everyones happy then!

Sorry to hear about your betta, at least it live a long happy warm life :D
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote