Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #1 
Rain Drop

Heater troubles D:

So yesterday I noticed that my heater in Strawberry's tank rose to 82F. "Oh, whatever", I thought. Not a big deal, but I turned it down a notch since I usually like the water to stay between 78 and 80. So today I come home from work and hop on downstairs to check on Strawberry. I was shocked to see it was at 92F D:
I mean, how could it rise more when I turned it down? It's so weird. And it doesn't have anything to do with the room temperature since the tank is in the basement and it always stays the same temp!
Anyways, so I immediately unplugged it and am just waiting for it to go down to 78.
I feel so dumb too.....I should've sent the warranty slip in the mail right away....for all three of the heaters too! But I don't have the receipts for any of them now Dx
I really hope it's not broken for good.

Oh, and would this have hurt the fish? I feel really bad that he's been in that warm of water for almost 24hrs :c
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about your heater problems. I don't know if it will have any bad effects on him or not but I'd definitely keep an eye on him for a few days.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #3 
iamtetsuo

I was doing research into heaters last night and this is one of the two ways they fail (and the worst way they can fail too). What happens is the heat sensor gets stuck in the on position causing the heater to work constantly cooking your poor fishy.

The other way they fail is the heater coil either burns out or gets stuck in the off position, which just leads to the water lowering to room temperature. Bad but usually not fatal.

If your fish didn't die he probably isn't going to. Keep an eye on him though to check for stress related illness though.

What brand heater out of curiosity?
iamtetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #4 
Rain Drop

It's a partly submersible elite mini by Hagen...a 25 watt.

I have the same one in each of my other tanks too.
And one of the tanks is the same size as Strawberry's ( 2.25G).

But good news! I was reading over the warranty slip and I don't think a need a receipt! Yay<3
I'm going to register is as soon as I get the chance.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote