Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #1 
Torbs

Don't know what illness he has or what meds he needs!

Hello. I posted in betta care but realize now that i should post here. My betta has dug a bit of a trench beside his vase and recently rubbed the scales off the top of his back. He flicks and glances off of decor, or he did, but he doesn't anymore. He stopped eating yesterday morning too. I've never had a betta before him and he was always a little off behaviourally so until I noticed the missing scales I didn't think anything of the strange things he was doing. I'm going to a fish store tomorrow morning to get meds, but I don't know what I need. Help anyone?
Torbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #2 
Torbs

oh also, I was going to do a water change tonight now that I know he's sick to relieve some of the pressure but I don't have enough water conditioner left (I'm going to the store tomorrow to buy some of that too). I don't know what to do for right now to help him get through the night....
Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 AM   #3 
Torbs

just took pictures. Here they are. note that in the first and third one the bright white dot is on the outside of the glass (not actually on the fish). Also note that this is not his normal enclosure, he has a much larger one. I moved him here to take those photos, and I'm debating on if I should keep him there to keep a better eye on him and prevent him from having things to scratch more scales off with or if I should put him back into his normal tank.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:00 AM   #4 
Torbs

just noticed, I think he's gotten pretty thin too (was checking)
Old 12-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #5 
kelly528

Okay...

-W/C as soon as you can get conditioner
-Get an illegal heater
-Add aquarium salt
-Start him on a course of Coppersafe (perferred) or barring that any medication with copper as a main ingredient / claims to treat most external parasites.

There are many protozoan parasites that are asymptomatic except for itching. Coppersafe will nuke absolutely any invert in the tank so it should work for any parasite he might have.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #6 
Torbs

Someone also suggested to me on aquamaniacs that I get jungle fungus. Is this also a good idea, or just coppersafe?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #7 
bettaowner101

Coppersafe would work. Don't get Jungle Fungus because he doesn't have fungus.
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #8 
kelly528

Yeah as bettaowner said it's always prudent to stay away from medicating diseases he doesn't have. Even on medicaiton instructions they explicitly warn you not to medicate your fish unless you are positive your diagnosis is correct.

Just start him on a course of coppersafe and be sure to remove all carbon that is under 6 days old.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #9 
Torbs

He's on parasite clear now (the guy at the store turned out to be a big betta buff and he keeps them at home too, he said parasite clear is a bit more effective and he mostly uses coppersafe for preventative measures). He's only had 1 treatment so far and already he's eating again, I think the guy at the store hit the nail on the head. I also got him (illegally since I'm in residence) a small heater (appropriate for the size of his tank) that I can sort of hide behind the fake plants hahaha. If he can survive the move (I know, I shouldn't move him right now in his state, but this couldn't have come at a worse time. Residence closes down for the holidays and I'm leaving Thursday so I have to move him to a friends house to be taken care of) then I think he's gonna pull through and be fine.

Thanks for all the advice tho!

And when you say remove "carbon", what is it you are referring to?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #10 
kelly528

any carbon in the filter (if you have one).