Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #1 
johnnymillenium

shrimp and snails?

Hi guys! I am looking to setup my betta's tank as a NPT but I was wondering how many shrimp and snails would be necessary for a 2.5 gal? Also, is one better than another? Do I need both or will one work? I'm just worried about having to take care of thinning out overpopulating snails often because it is such a small tank. Also my betta has gotten pretty big and I don't want to overcrowd him.
johnnymillenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 PM   #2 
Tree

I only have one snail in my 2.6 gallon. and it does a good job. =)

look up Nerite snails. they do not reproduce in freshwater and they do a great job in cleaning up the algae. Though some bettas hate snails and will kill them. these snails stay small too.

or you could go for a shrimp but you have to have a lot of cover for them. this is what I heard when I was looking up this question as well. ^^
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #3 
G26okie

I've got one snail and 5 ghost shrimp (2 big ones, and 3 little) in my fluval spec 3 with no problems.
G26okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #4 
faraiza9

my Bettas killed every single snail i had! =(
faraiza9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #5 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraiza9 View Post
my Bettas killed every single snail i had! =(

awww T^T I have only one betta that's picking on the snail in his tank. I think he finely stopped though. I just hope the snail survive cause he did get nipped up quite a bit.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #6 
kman

Bettas vary by individual personality as to whether they'll tolerate ANY other tank inhabitants. Some are fine with nearly anything (as long it doesn't look too much like a betta, or isn't big and threatening), and others won't tolerate ANYTHING in their tank!

Mine was fine with Neon tetras and ghost shrimp in his small tank, and no problem with snails. Others have plenty of horror stories to share. So you never know until you try.

Many people have good luck with Nerite snails. They're smaller than some other types, they do a good job on algae control, their tentacles are tiny so the escape notice (moreso than the large wiggly tentacles on mystery snails that often get nipped). Also, they sometimes lay eggs but they need brackish (salty) water to hatch so no need to worry about overpopulation from snail breeding in a freshwater tank with Nerite snails. You can handle two Nerites in a 2-3 gallon tanks no problem.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #7 
johnnymillenium

wow, thank you all for your input and advice. I think i will go ahead with a nerite or two, probably one for now and see how Johnny reacts to the company. I don't think he will get too aggressive with a little snail like that but who knows, can't tell till I try.

Just went to my LPS to see what they had as far as plants and snails, they had the nerite snails but plants were limited and the lady I asked didn't know what stem plants meant. I think I'm going to have to go the internet ordering way, does anyone have any favorite online plant suppliers?
Old 01-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #8 
G26okie

Mine does not even give the shrimp/snail a second look. I used to have one that would attack the shrimp anytime they were within sight.
G26okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #9 
johnnymillenium

Funny how bettas have such different personalities/temperaments, kinda like humans. I would have never guessed it when I first got a betta, I was one of many who didn't know a thing about them till I got one and found out the hard way that they are NOT as easy putting in a bowl of water and feeding everyday. I wish so many people hadn't given me that impression prior to getting one, not that I regret it. I love my fishy fish! just wish I had known so I could have given him the best environment right from the begining.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #10 
BulletToothBoris

Wait until there is some algea growth then get 1 nerite. As far as shrimp goes I would get 5 ghost shrimp but expect 1 or 2 to die.
BulletToothBoris is offline   Reply With Quote