Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #1 
BakaMandy

Rescue!

Hey! Long time no post, D: Got wrapped up in work because of the Christmas season, I haven't had time to post! But I'm finally kinda back >.< Kinda...

And well... My boyfriend is going to kill me when he finds out I rescued a cute little girl today xD;;;

While I was at work picking up my lunch, I went and took a quick stop at the pet store located in the mall I work at where I saved Kyu, and I noticed that horrid bowl they use to keep females in had returned.

Sure enough, there were two dead female bettas lying at the bottom of the bowl and a teeny tiny little female swimming about looking slightly beat up with terrible ammonia poisoning, her gills are so red and swollen! I'm actually suprised she was still alive because the other two were larger than her... you'd think the smallest would be more likely to fall victim to sickness...

But then I just suddenly felt determined to pick her up after work >_< It didn't feel right to just walk away and know that in doing so would be letting her die...

But now she's in one of my 1 gallon hospital tanks, and she seems pretty energetic! Although she's still pretty stressed out... I can't really tell what colour she is because she's so pale right now, but she has a bit of this silvery blue highlight when you shine a light on her :3 But she's sooo tiny! O.o

I named her Lala too. I don't know, when I looked at her, that's the first thing that popped into my mind...
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #2 
bettaowner101

She must be so much happier in a 1 gallon! I hope she gets better soon. Could you post a picture of her on here? I want to see her so bad!
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad you rescued her!! I'm sure she'll be ok with a little tlc.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #4 
BakaMandy

Lol xD I've been trying to take a picture of her actually! But it seems she's extremely camera shy xD She keeps hiding in the plant I put in the tank to give her shelter whenever I take the camera out! I'll keep trying though!

... I can't really call it a tank though... it's more like a bucket that was made to carry a bunch of jello cups, but it was such a good size, so I've been just saving them for fish xD;
Old 12-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #5 
ScuitoAmi150

I'm sure she's much happier now!!
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #6 
doggyhog

Congrats!!! :) Get one more girl and you could start a sorority!!! :D
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #7 
BakaMandy

@doggyhog: I wish I could! Nya and Kyu would totally eat Lala up at the moment! D: Lala is like... not even 1/4 of their size! @_@;;

Lol on a side note >.<;; Lala has SBD.... I kinda... accidentally over fed her. I fed her a 'normal' portion this morning (or at least what I'd normally feed my other betta fish) and it was just too much for her! Poor girl is doing everything in power to swim around but she keeps floating to the top! >.< Eep

Gonna fast her for a day and see if that helps, if not I have some infursoria :S Added a bit of Epsom salt to help her constipation too.

I got some pictures of her thanks to it though =v=;; she stopped moving so much, but I feel bad that she's just floating there now...

): You can see the reddness in her gills from the ammonia poisoning she suffered from at the pet store... but she's not nearly as stressed out looking as she was yesterday, I can see more blue in her fins!

And a picture with Shota swimming in the background! his finrot is doing much better now :) Maracyn-Plus saved his life!

Lala only looks normal sized because she's closer to the camera... she's not even 1/4 of Shota's size @_@;

Last edited by BakaMandy; 12-16-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #8 
lilyrazen

aww what a cutie. I did the same with Heidi cuz she was surrounded by dead fish and the manager wouldn't stop to listen to me so I just grabbed her up and bought her!
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #9 
Jupiter

Ugh, I know! I go there during breaks and they stuff like 5 females in a bowl! :/

Glad you saved her, though. She's really cute!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #10 
BakaMandy

@Jupiter: I know right? ;_; I've tried talking to the associates about it and they just shrug it off... Their males are always in bad condition too ._. well actually... they take pretty horrible care of all their fish... I tried applying there and they turned me down >.<;

And have you ever gone by the Printwell store? They have a little betta in a 1 gallon tank with an OPEN TOP and they were doing construction so near it! Plus they haven't changed the water in forever >_<;;

:D Good news is Lala recovered from the SBD already! By the time I went to bed at like 1am-ish, she was swimming around perfectly normal :3

Little by little her colours are becoming more vivid >v< she looks like a little pineapple right now... but if she's like Kyu (who looks like a pineapple when she turns pale) she'll darken up much more :D.

The only concern I have is her fins, because I haven't noticed any regrowth yet on the damaged parts, and I think I see a hole opening on her anal fin... :S I already have aquarium salt in her tank so if it doesn't start closing up in the next couple of days, I'm thinking I might try a little medicine...

Last edited by BakaMandy; 12-17-2009 at 10:10 AM.