Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #1 
relaxedcrazyman

Using CO2 in a 10g

So i am thinking about starting to use CO2 for my 10g tank.

I am a little overwhelmed by all the info out there on kits, and DIY and all that jazz.

DIY seems simple enough, but im a little perplexed. shouldnt i try to regulate the amount of co2 going into the tank? how much is enough? too much? what to do during lights off hours, shouldnt it be off? just take the diffuser out of the water?

anyone recommend a diy thread or kit?

relaxedcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #2 
coreyh

For the DIY, there's little chance of overdosing just because so little is created, but you do take the diffuser out of the water at night just to be safe. If you check amazon, there are quite a few mini systems made for 10-20 gallon tanks, ranging from 22-100 dollars.

Depending on the plants you're considering for a tank of that size, you may not even need it, and it would just be an added expense and a pain. Excel is always an option too, since the tank is small, the bottled co2 would be a lot cheaper.
coreyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #3 
relaxedcrazyman

these are the plants i have: Riccia Fluitans, 2" x 3" portion, Pigmy Chain Sword, Echinodorus tenellus, Narrow Leaf, Cryptocoryne undulata, Hygrophila corymbosa, Bacopa Carolina, Wisteria, a marimo ball, dwarf hairgrass, and java fern.

is co2 necessary?

comments on this kit: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00026058Y/...=IF8SZNJJFV6CE

Last edited by relaxedcrazyman; 01-25-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #4 
coreyh

From the few plants I recognize, Co2 would probably be a good idea. I know the hairgrass, pigmy sword, and riccia would definitely appreciate it.

From the description in the link, I can't see the big difference between the kit and just DIY Co2, but someone else might have used this already and be able to tell you better.
coreyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #5 
relaxedcrazyman

Worth spending the extra money on a canister co2 system?
Old 01-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #6 
relaxedcrazyman

Sorry to double post, but can't edit the previous one. I heard I can dose excel instead of co2. Is that true?
Old 01-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #7 
kman

DHG doesn't NEED co2, it just grows really slowly without it.

Many people dose with Flourish and Flourish Excel, and find that suffices without the extra complexity of co2.

The Hagen system you linked works great, by all the reports I've read. I recently did a lot of research, and I nearly picked it up myself but decided to stick with Flourish and Flourish Excel for a while longer before I go co2, for a few particular reasons (that won't be an issue for you).

The Hagen system is just a fancy store-built DIY system. You don't have to jury-rig gaterade bottles and epoxy airlines. It's a really nice, if somewhat small, DIY container that you're paying for. The ladder is huge, and many people end up switching to a regular diffuser instead. The pre-mixed mixtures are really overpriced... most people don't bother with them, or at least just use up the first included batch and then move to simple recipes. There are many listed in the Amazon reviews, really easy to pick the one you like, just add the right amounts of baking soda, yeast, sugar and warm water and that's it (same as any DIY bottles).

In short, if you have the spare $30 (I saw the same kit at Amazon a week ago for $22, so the price fluctuates, just FYI), it's a very low-hassle way to get into DIY co2. If the $30 (or $22, if you're patient) seems a bit high just for a nicer, more attractive DIY bottle, just go with the usual gatorade/water bottle method.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #8 
relaxedcrazyman

I already have a 500ml of Excel. Should I get flourish and use them together? Then once finished get co2, or just stick to those two?
Old 01-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #9 
kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxedcrazyman View Post
I already have a 500ml of Excel. Should I get flourish and use them together? Then once finished get co2, or just stick to those two?
I'm somewhat new to this, but from what I've read, most people seem to use both Flourish and Flourish Excel. I'm using both.

I'd start with those two and see how they do for 3-4 months, before considering whether you need to move to a full co2 system. But it's your call. :)
kman is offline   Reply With Quote