Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #11 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochoramet View Post
Actually I was just about to say that I am going to raise cane if I get him. I will insist on getting him free. Because that's just cruel. but trust me, I wasn't going to just meekly buy him and walk out.
Good! :) I agree, there is just absolutely no excuse for that. Any creature that can feel pain or even discomfort deserves much better. I don't get why people can't see that. Just because they're not as intelligent as a dog or cat(though I HAVE met dogs stupider then some of my fish, I swear....)doesn't mean the should to be treated so poorly. Hopefully if enough of us refrain from buying the sick or injured ones/insist on getting them for free pet stores will get it and start taking better care of bettas and other fish as well.
I'll stop now before I go off into a full-blown rant xD Anyway, I hope you get him and look forward to seeing pictures! :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #12 
ChristinaRoss

if fish dont sell, they will quit ordering as many and eventually stop carrying them. it wont in anyway make them take better care of them. they obviously dont care now. and if fish dont sell it affects their bottom line. no profit, but, they will still get a tax writeoff.

the only thing these stores care about is their profit margin. period.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #13 
lavallin

Buy him :)
I bought a fish a while ago because he had been in the store for moonths. He is a veil tale with very stubby fins and nobody wanted him... now he is my favorite!
Giving him a home made me really happy.
lavallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #14 
nochoramet

Yeah... I agree. I just can't stand to see him like that, because just because his face is messed up doesn't mean he's no less important than the others. And just because his fins aren't all long and full doesn't mean they should just let him die...
I really think I'm going to get him, because it's just not right. I really told myself no more after Cash, but this little guy needs it more than all of mine did. At least they were being looked after a little more. I'll just get him his own little 2.5 gallon instead of putting him in the 20g like I'm doing with the others. He needs some extra TLC, because I'm sure he's got some sort of fin rot with the way they've been treating him :[
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #15 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaRoss View Post
if fish dont sell, they will quit ordering as many and eventually stop carrying them. it wont in anyway make them take better care of them. they obviously dont care now. and if fish dont sell it affects their bottom line. no profit, but, they will still get a tax writeoff.

the only thing these stores care about is their profit margin. period.
Well of course thats all they care about, otherwise we'd be seeing bettas in 2 gallon tanks with clean, clear water wherever we go. However, it seems logical to me that if enough of us stop buying the ones in poor condition that someone will eventually get it and maybe try to take a little better care of them. If healthy ones sell and make profit, wouldn't it make sense to try and keep as many of them healthy as possible? And if not and they stop carrying them all together....then thats not a total loss IMO either. In fact, it might make the market for bettas a little better for breeders and I doubt many breeders will let someone take one of their babies without being educated in proper betta care....over all, making the lives of bettas better and dispelling the horrible myths about them.

One can only hope But thats just my view on the topic.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would go ahead and get him. Even if you have to put him in a gallon container, just make sure the water changes are kept up with and he'll be fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #17 
ChristinaRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Well of course thats all they care about, otherwise we'd be seeing bettas in 2 gallon tanks with clean, clear water wherever we go. However, it seems logical to me that if enough of us stop buying the ones in poor condition that someone will eventually get it and maybe try to take a little better care of them. If healthy ones sell and make profit, wouldn't it make sense to try and keep as many of them healthy as possible? And if not and they stop carrying them all together....then thats not a total loss IMO either. In fact, it might make the market for bettas a little better for breeders and I doubt many breeders will let someone take one of their babies without being educated in proper betta care....over all, making the lives of bettas better and dispelling the horrible myths about them.

One can only hope But thats just my view on the topic.

of course you make logical sense..........but your assuming that store employees will all of a sudden care how their taken care of, not too likely to happen. they carry these fish more as a novelty just to sell the tanks and equipment. if they cared at all how this department was run, they wouldnt have as many losses to start with.

a store isnt going to have their cashiers start "taking note" as to whether or not the one i buy and walkout with is healthy or not.

if they cared at all how this department was run, they wouldnt have any losses to start with.

Last edited by ChristinaRoss; 12-16-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #18 
nochoramet

Thank you everyone. I just wasn't sure what the right thing to do was. I just hate seeing them suffer. If I could I would take them all home, but of course, we all would. It isn't fair that he's survived this long to not be taken home. Especially by someone who knows how to take care of him. But he is the LAST ONE! No more!
So should his name be Bowser or Tugs? (presuming he's there when I go.. unless he died, he should be there)
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

I like Tugs. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #20 
ChristinaRoss

i like tugs too

no more? hes the last one? lololololol

where have we heard THAT before?