Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #21 
nochoramet

Yeah... I know. I guess I should say he's the last one for now... I kind of like Tugs myself. Considering that's what he's been doing to me and all.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #22 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaRoss View Post
of course you make logical sense..........but your assuming that store employees will all of a sudden care how their taken care of, not too likely to happen. they carry these fish more as a novelty just to sell the tanks and equipment. if they cared at all how this department was run, they wouldnt have as many losses to start with.

a store isnt going to have their cashiers start "taking note" as to whether or not the one i buy and walkout with is healthy or not.

if they cared at all how this department was run, they wouldnt have any losses to start with.
No, no, it seems I'm still not making myself clear enough D: Gah, I suck at explaining things.....by no means do I think employees will suddenly start to care, that'd just be silly. What I mean is, by putting myself in the position of manager or store owner, I would noticed the sales of bettas(and/or other fish)had gone down and then ask myself....why is that? Then perhaps look a little more into it and maybe find that there are so many sick ones that are sitting there that clearly no one is interested in....then maybe enforce stricter rules about keeping the cups cleaner, searching for dead or sick ones on a regular bases, ext. Not saying that they'll start to 'care' necessarily. Of course, places like Wal-mart and such who have so many other things to sell and make a profit off of would probably just stop carrying them all together, but thats how I'm coming to my view on things....if I explained that right, hopefully that makes more sense

Back on topic....I like the name Tugs too :) its adorable. Though so is Bowser....xD It'd be hard to choose without seeing him.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #23 
doggyhog

Ha!! I said that my third was my last! :D LOL that was a lie! I've gotten 7 more since!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #24 
kelly528

Yeah I have to say that there is absolutely no sense in paying full price for him. The sad betta displays, IMO are half corner-cutting, half marketing scheme. If everyone refused to pay full price for neglected bettas we wouldn't have this problem.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #25 
Calmwaters

I would get him and I would name him Tugs. This is why I have stopped going near the fish section at Walmart, I could not stop myself from getting the sick ones.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #26 
nochoramet

Yeah, most of the time I do pretty good at staying away, but I went with my boyfriend to get him a crowntail, and he was still there :[
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #27 
ChristinaRoss

ok i understood that better this time dragonfish, sorry i didnt before.

maybe im just a bit of cynic to think that the actual store manager would notice whether or not a few betta sold or not. a department manager maybe so.

ill put it this way, i have 5 walmarts very close to my house. only one of them sells bettas. i only discovered them by "accident" they are kept on top of at least a 6' shelf.i am only 5'3 and i couldnt even reach the cups to look at them. i could see in the cups, discusting water, and many that were dead. i went and notified the store manager. he said hed get that looked into and cleaned up. ya right. i went every week for 6 weeks, made my complaints even to the pet department manager. to no avail. i even notified corporate. nothing happened. they are still kept that badly and the only difference now is, i never go into THAT walmart and spend my $.

so as to MY experience in trying to get them to change, EVEN when pointed out weekly, it made no difference.

i would imagine that if everyone was more aggressive and complained alot, maybe something would be done in SOME of these stores. if we are merely passiveaggressive and sit idly by, not buy the fish, and not actually verbalize a complaint, then we can safely assume they would plead ignorance. maybe they think these are simply weak, sickly fish. its not as if anyone is trained properly in the fish department. not here anyway.

I certainly wasnt trying to appear rude to you or about your views. i see your point. ive just already tried that route and then some, to no avail. therefor, i would encourage someone to at least try to save the fish.
the store doesnt care, but, the customer who gets him will.
im for saving the poor fish.

kellie, if we all refused to pay full price for neglected bettas.........wed get no bettas. essentially by this forum and the mass majority of forumers heres standards (kept in 2.5 gallons,heated & filtered tanks) then most every store has neglected bettas.
ill end my rant.........

Last edited by ChristinaRoss; 12-16-2009 at 03:25 PM.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

I keep some of mine in gallon containers and some don't have heaters. I was told on another forum by someone who was made a moderator on that forum, that I was ABUSING my fish!!! Mine may not have the biggest, fanciest tanks in the world but by gosh, my bettas are well cared for and I'm not going to tolerate some idiot telling me that I'm abusing my fish!! End of rant. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #29 
dh5daaaccfdd

I would save him.
dh5daaaccfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #30 
ScuitoAmi150

I actually like the name Bowser better, hehe. You should definitely go get him! And don't say he's the last, cause you know you'll find another cute little betta and just HAVE to get it.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote