Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2014, 04:11 AM   #1 
asuperpower

Cool Aquascaping for a 90 gallon

I am wondering how effective it would be if I could make the water a little more hilly rather than flat, would it work well if I used, perhaps an inch of potting mix put some sterilized rocks/slate and then put another inch or so of soil then put some white sand on top, then plant some moss so it looks like rolling hills and plants here and there. My question is how effective would it be, as in would the hills stay there or would they start to flatten over time, because I wouldn't want that. If so, is there a better way to do it?

Also would the pleco's or any Yoyo Loaches cause any trouble with this?
asuperpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #2 
Chesh

Welcome to TFK!

I've only run one dirted/capped tank - but it housed no fish! My other tanks have been sand or gravel only.

I do create a sloped (not hilly) substrate in my tanks, and have found that it will settle out over time without being bolstered in place by rocks and plant roots. I think this *could* work in a soil tank, but you'd have to be very careful when cleaning the substrate.

I've seen for sale things that are designed to lay beneath the substrate to help with things like this, look into aqua-scaping companies and equipment. . . you may find something. I can't remember off-hand where I've seen them!

If you do go with soil and sand, I'd avoid larger loaches and bottom dwellers - some of this depends on how heavy the sand is - a heavier grit sand might stand up better to a smaller non-burrowing loach like a kuhli. . .but I'm not 100% sure! More research yet to do for sure!!!

I'm still a beginner though, hopefully someone will be by with some more experienced light to shed!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:07 AM   #3 
asuperpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesh View Post
Welcome to TFK!

I've only run one dirted/capped tank - but it housed no fish! My other tanks have been sand or gravel only.

I do create a sloped (not hilly) substrate in my tanks, and have found that it will settle out over time without being bolstered in place by rocks and plant roots. I think this *could* work in a soil tank, but you'd have to be very careful when cleaning the substrate.

I've seen for sale things that are designed to lay beneath the substrate to help with things like this, look into aqua-scaping companies and equipment. . . you may find something. I can't remember off-hand where I've seen them!

If you do go with soil and sand, I'd avoid larger loaches and bottom dwellers - some of this depends on how heavy the sand is - a heavier grit sand might stand up better to a smaller non-burrowing loach like a kuhli. . .but I'm not 100% sure! More research yet to do for sure!!!

I'm still a beginner though, hopefully someone will be by with some more experienced light to shed!
I've taken the plunge, and I've gotten gravel and potting mix and the rolling hills work well so far... I'll see how it goes :)
Old 01-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #4 
Chesh

Awesome! Hope it works out perfectly!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Post some photos~ :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can also use gravel in pantyhose instead of rock slabs to make hills to prevent flattening out before the plants get routed. I'll be trying that route soon in just a 29 planted. But good luck with your tank! Sounds like it's going to be amazing!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #7 
asuperpower

Wink

Here it is so far!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #8 
asuperpower

Wink

Here it is so far!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #9 
Chesh

Looks FANTASTIC!!! Great job! You're going to have to start a journal so we can watch this tank grow! ^__^ Thanks for posting the pics!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #10 
asuperpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesh View Post
Looks FANTASTIC!!! Great job! You're going to have to start a journal so we can watch this tank grow! ^__^ Thanks for posting the pics!
Thanks,really appreciate the comment. :)

Will have to add/make a CO2 system for it I presume though.
Posted via Mobile Device