Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #1 
CyndiP64

Velvet?

Hello everyone.

I am a new member but have been reading for awhile. Thanks for all the useful information.

I have a new betta now (last one passed away) and I am noticing some fuzz on his chin (?). It is gray, not gold. I also saw this on my last fish and everyone I talked to at the fish store told me to use something different. He eventually got popeye and died. Is this gray fuzz velvet or something else. Also, the last stuff I treated with was Aquari-Sol. It says in the directions to turn the carbon filter off but the breeder told me to leave it on. Which is it? I love my new little guy and don't want him to get sick. He is in a 2.5 gallon tank, heated (80-81 degrees) and filtered. He also has 2 Cory's for company.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by CyndiP64; 12-17-2009 at 03:46 PM.
CyndiP64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #2 
Jupiter

Well, I'm not really sure about the disease. Velvet looks like gold dusting on your fish.

Don't trust pet store people, they have no idea what they're saying most of the time. If the directions tell you to remove the carbon, you should do so.

One thing I can say for sure is that your tank is majorly overstocked! A 2.5 gallon tank is the minimum for one betta fish only, with nothing else.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, I agree with Jupiter, that's very overstocked.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #4 
JaspersANGEL

In order to treat a fish (betta, sorry never kept any other types of fish) you should, not turn off the filter, just switch the carbon cartridge with foam.
I tried that with my fishy Jasper, for his fin rot, it works miracles!
If the cottony stuff is clear, i'd probably say it's flex, but then again I'm no expert.
http://www.nippyfish.net/flexibacter.html
Keep researching and I hope your fishy get's better soon.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #5 
CyndiP64

Thanks Jaspers ANGEL. After reading your attached article, I'm 99% positive that is what both of my fish had. Yes, I used the past tense. I lost my new guy today. No one even suggested using Maracyn. It was about the only medicine I didn't use. The person I was talking to was the breeder! I can't believe she didn't know. I bought him here instead of Petsmart because I thought I would get a healther fish by buying from a "breeder". I'm tempted to go back to Petsmart. Thanks again for the info. It was most helpful. I will also try the foam if I ever have a situation like this again.

CyndiP64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your fish!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm so sorry! :(
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

So sorry to hear you lost your fish. IMO, the best advice you will get is on this forum in the betta care and betta disease section. I've learned tons.

We do still lose them sometimes but we give them the best life we can while we have them. And they give us lots of personality and entertainment back.

Don't give up on them :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote