Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #1 
jacknchloe

Question Dividing a 5 gallon

Had a few questions...I picked up my 5 gallon tank yesterday and want to put a divider in it. What should I make the divider out of? Plexiglass? Someone told my husband NOT to use it because it has chemicals and to use actual glass. Has anyone ever made their own divider and if so what did you make it with? Also, the tank (I got from someone else) has gravel in it already. Can I rinse that gravel and use it or should I get new gravel?
jacknchloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #2 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
I think several memembers have done this, and I would like to know the same thing
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #3 
bettamama

Yes, rinse the gravel very good with hot water and maybe some vinegar if possible. Other than that, I've been seeing these homemade dividers out of some kind of material you can get at Office Depot, I am sure someone will respond with that information. I always buy mine at the pet store, so I can't help there. I do know that if your tank is filtered, you won't want glass or anything in it, that will keep flitered water on one side and unfiltered on another, you would have to clean one side more often. These homemade ones and ones you can pick up in stores have little holes in them to help the water flow through the whole tank.
bettamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #4 
TigerLily

There are easy instructions (and pictures) here to make cheap but effective tank dividers. I plan on doing this as well.

Here we go:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote