Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2009, 01:52 AM   #1 
BerrysBetta

Unhappy Willow died too!!! :(

As some of you may recall, about a week ago I lost Fern, one of my three Betta fish, and I was extremely upset. See thread ---> http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=33771

Tonight, after cleaning out the tank of my two remaining fish, Taylor and Willow, I watched Willow die. Lately she's been hiding in her cave a lot, and while I had her in the cleaning tank she swam around every now and then, but she spent the majority of the time lying at the very bottom in a shell.
When I put her in her regular tank, now cleaned and fresh, she began to swim around quite feverently. I added Taylor to the tank as well, and she swam around like Willow, but eventually calmed down. Willow however began to worry me immensely.
She would swim to the very bottom and lie on the gravel, then swim to the top to take a breath, back to the bottom to lie down for a few seconds and then back to the top. This repeated quite a few times, and each time, it seemed she was having more difficulty reaching the top. She began to swim on her side. Eventually, she was unable to make it to the top of the tank. I watched her beat her little fins trying desperately to swim to the top for air, but she just kept sinking to the bottom.
I panicked, because I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know what to do.
I tried to put her back into the cleaning tank, but I was unable to get her to swim into the net. I had to resort to lifting her in my own hands, and she didn't even try to swim from my fingers. Her gills were still flapping open and closed and her eyes were sill mobile, so I knew she was alive.
I placed her in very shallow water so that she could reach the top of the waterline simply by raising her body, and I saw she tried to reach it, but by this time, she couldn't even move her body, other than her gills.
I lifted her myself to the waterline and she gulped some air, but as soon as I lowered her into the water, she just fell until she hit the bottom. Her gills were still flapping, but her fins were stationary.
In her small container of water I held her and cried.
I knew Willow was in serious trouble. I tried to coax her to beat her fins back and forth but she couldn't move. Then her body spasmed, and suddenly her gills and eyes became still.
Willow had died as I cradled her, in her little water jar.

I cried for a long time, traumatized by watching my poor little fish suffer and die.
I don't know what happened to her. Did I kill her somehow? Did I do something wrong when I cleaned her tank that triggered her death?
I'm so distraught. My poor, poor Willow

She was such a small little betta too, a cute little blue one. There is no way she was old; it wasn't her time to go.

Please help me before Taylor dies like her sisters Willow and Fern. Taylor is my last fishy left...I can't bear to see her go. I've only had these fish for 6 months now.

How am I ever going to break the news to my sister?
BerrysBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear about Willow. I'm sure you did everything you could to try to save her but sometimes we just never know what's wrong with our fish and therefore don't know how to treat what ails them.

Can you post the specs. of your tank? How big? Heated and filtered? Is it fully cycled? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph? Do you change the water weekly? Temperature?

Start there and maybe someone can figure out what's going on.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm so sorry about Willow. :(
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #4 
lilyrazen

Like you said In your last thread, the 2.5 gallon was way too small for the three of them, as a sorority starts at four in a ten gallon. There have been cases of people fish becoming aggressive especially in smaller tanks with less hiding spots. Hopefully Taylor will make it, but I wouldn't suggest getting anymore girls for that tank. And It would be best to clean your tank 10% or more a week instead of 100% once a month.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #5 
BerrysBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about Willow. I'm sure you did everything you could to try to save her but sometimes we just never know what's wrong with our fish and therefore don't know how to treat what ails them.

Can you post the specs. of your tank? How big? Heated and filtered? Is it fully cycled? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph? Do you change the water weekly? Temperature?

Start there and maybe someone can figure out what's going on.
2.5 gallon, filtered, and I've been changing the water weekly.
I don't know about the readings of the chemical levels in the water, but I'm going to get a kit to test it.

I know that the general rule is one gallon per fish, but I wanted Taylor and Willow to have their own tanks, even though they were getting along fine.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a new tank. I live at home with my parents, and they didn't like the idea of a bigger tank. My family and friends think that a fish bowl is good enough for a betta and they don't support or understand my wanting to buy a big tank with a heater for just two fish.
It's really hard to take care of betta when you're young and your decisions are still made by your parents and those older than you
BerrysBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #6 
TigerLily

Quote:
I know that the general rule is one gallon per fish
I think you're getting at the old "One gallon per inch of fish" rule. Bettas should have at least two to two and a half gallons each, ideally.

Once you get a test kit, see what your tank results are and post them for us. Water stats can make all the difference in the health of fish, so it's always good to know.
Even though your parents may not like the idea of getting a bigger tank, there might be ways to persuade them. Try showing them some videos or pictures of larger tanks as examples of how nice they can be and how they can make life for your fish happier and healthier.
You could also explain to them that larger tanks don't have to be very expensive. Wal mart generally have good prices on kits that include just about everything. You can also sometimes find great deals at yard sales or on sites like craigslist.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #7 
bettamama

Oh lord, the way you described that almost made me cry. I am so sorry to hear about Willow. I hope that Taylor is okay. Just make sure to clean the tank thoroughly after losing your two fish. Hope everything works for you.
bettamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Willow!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #9 
BakaMandy

): omg... I'm so sorry for your loss... *hugs* T_T She was very lucky to have such a loving owner, so I'm sure she's grateful for that.

I agree with bettamama, I'd take Taylor out for a while and clean your tank thoroughly so that to get rid of any current bacteria living in the tank.

I would also invest in some medicine, since it sounds as though it may be an internal infection, and since bacteria and parasites are very contagious, I wouldn't doubt that there's a possibility Taylor could get whatever Fern and Willow had.

From things I've read, it almost sounds like an internal bacteria infection (especially with the descriptions provided by BettaTalk such as holes in the body which were present in your case with Fern and listlessness and inability to swim well with Willow). I've used Maracyn-two or tetracycline for internal bacteria infections with success. I'd keep a very close eye on her and keep her water very clean.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, death, female betta, sad