Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #1 
iamtetsuo

Smaller Pellets?

I'm currently feeding Bloodgore Wardley Advanced Betta pellets. He loves them, but most of them are too big for him to eat. He ends up grabbing them and spitting them out several times before he can eat them. My current solution has been to pick out the smallest pellets, and crush the bigger ones. Problem with crushing the bigger ones is bits of the pellets sink to the bottom before he even notices there's food.

He does search around the bottom of the tank during the day looking for food, but still I think it would be best if I could find a way for him to be able to eat whole pellets so I don't end up with rotting pellet bits in the gravel.

Anyone know of a brand of betta pellets that are smaller than Wardley?

I'v also thought about pre-soaking the pellets, making it easier for him to break the pellets up in his mouth. Would that work?
iamtetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #2 
gahcrazy

r you sure thier to big? every once in a while Scooter will do that but still manages to eat them. He use to carry them around the tank for awhile then eat them.
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I use Wardleys too and I have to crush some and I haven't had any problems with it. But my bettas are piggies and they eat the pellets as soon as I place them in so they don't have time to float to the bottom.lol
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #4 
TigerLily

I've had a problem with the size of the Wardley's pellets before. What I did, was take a pocket knife and carefully chop them into halves. It's pretty easy and seems to solve the problem.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think Hikari betta bio gold pellets are smaller. Also, you could get some micro pellets.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #6 
BettaKeeper

I switched to Hikari because of the same problem. They're a bit smaller.
BettaKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #7 
iamtetsuo

@tigerlily I tried cutting them with a sharp knife, but they have a tendency to jump rather than get cut in half.

I'll probably go down to the pet store on Sunday before work and grab a pack of Hikari. At the least it will give bloodgore some variety in his diet!
iamtetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #8 
bettamama

My Betta's always had that problem, I found that soaking them always helped him nip them. Also, when they were soaked, I would squish them with a spoon but not too much making sure it all stayed together and didn't break apart. Hope you can find an easier way for him to eat! Goodluck!
bettamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #9 
TigerLily

Quote:
@tigerlily I tried cutting them with a sharp knife, but they have a tendency to jump rather than get cut in half.
That happened when I first tried too. What I've found to work is to lay the pellet between two fingers (to catch anything that flies off), then I rest the blade on top of the pellet and gently press using a rocking-chair motion with the blade. They don't seem to jump so much that way, but please be extremely careful not to hurt yourself if you decide to try it this way.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #10 
dr2b

I use both for Flair. When I got Marina, she couldn't eat either of them - so I got he Hikari micro pellets and she does great with them.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote