Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2009, 04:00 AM   #1 
govou

Thumbs up Betta w/ Mollies? How established should the tank be befor introducing the Betta

If I wanted to introduce my Betta with my mollies how established should the tank be? And if I plan on having other fish in the tank as well; which should come first? The Betta or the other fish? Please and thank you if you have any help!
govou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:06 AM   #2 
bettamama

I think the Molly should go in first, putting a Betta in first might cause a problem because the Molly would be coming into his "territory". I've never had a problem with my Betta's and Mollies...but I guess it all depends on your Betta's personality. Good luck!
bettamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:11 AM   #3 
govou

Thanks very much. But I think I was being unclear. The mollies are already in. How long should they be in the tank before I introduce the Betta, and if I want to put other fish in besides the mollies and the Betta. Should I wait on the Betta?
govou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #4 
bettamama

Oh, I am sorry maybe I didn't read it correctly. I had just gotten off work. Long day lol. Anyways, I'd let them get used to their surroundings and any other fish for about a week, then introduce the Betta. As far as other fish, I'd just put them in as soon as you get them.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with putting the mollies in first.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #6 
New2Betas

Hasn’t it already been discussed that mollies and bettas should not be together because mollies are fin nippers? This was mentioned a few times over in the Betta Fish Compatibility section.
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #7 
kelly528

Yeah. Also, I'm not sure what kind of mollies you have but sailfins will grow a good inches and all mollies need a 30g tank at minimum.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #8 
bettamama

My mollies have NEVER bothered my Betta. As a matter of fact, they swim together. I've always watched out and made sure all of my fish were safe..and actually my other mollies are good with my guppys too. Maybe I lucked out?
Old 12-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Betas View Post
Hasnít it already been discussed that mollies and bettas should not be together because mollies are fin nippers? This was mentioned a few times over in the Betta Fish Compatibility section.
Agreed. Because one person has had no issues thus far... does not ensure that others won't.
It is not unlike those who say... Well I keep my goldfish in a bowl, or I keep my betta in a vase ,bowl etc. Doesn't mean much.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:18 AM   #10 
bettamama

Well, to the OP, it's worth a shot. Some might get along and some might not. It just all depends on the temperament of all fish. If you notice any aggression, remove the Betta asap.