Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #1 
lilyrazen

it may not be an EMERGENCY but this is wierd.

Ok, so about a week ago I noticed Jazz had some curlies in his fins. It was fine until two days ago when they started getting worse and Friday got them too. I know it can be caused by water conditions be bad, but I do weekly 30% changes at least and keep the water as clean as possible. Is there any way I can help coax them back to normal?
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #2 
JamieTron

First of all how big of a tank do you have your fish in?

Sometimes smaller environments can cause their fins to curl because of the lack of space for them to extend them. When I bought my veil tail from the petstore his fins where horribly curled and I had only a 1 gallon bowl at the time when I purchased him, because he was a split second decision to save him. I was planning on getting him a bigger tank in a few weeks. I bought him a 3 gallon tank and now a few months later his fins are perfect! All extended and healthy looking. It took like 2 months for them to fully extend, but his were severe when I bought him.

You are also right that it could be water conditions, they should always have good water anyways because as you know they can get many other disorders from having improper water. So your water changes are a good idea. Depending on the size of your tank you should do 100% water changes each week if it is only a bowl or small tank ,as the water can get really congested with ammonia and other dissolved wastes fast. I

It can also be a genetic thing in which there probably will not be any way to fix the problem if changing the environment does not work. Pet store fish are most likely to have this problem as I am sure breeders would probably not breed fish with this trait.

Keep up the good work

Last edited by JamieTron; 12-23-2009 at 09:52 PM.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #3 
lilyrazen

He's in a 10 gallon split three ways. It might be stress, because I've been reno.ing his tank lately.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #4 
Jazattackk

Is there a way to uncurl the fins? Because Flame has one curl in his fins and it's really wierd.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #5 
JamieTron

it may not be an emergency but this is wierd.

Hrm you could be right stress could be the key factor, hopefully his fins will sort themselves out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazattackk View Post
Is there a way to uncurl the fins? Because Flame has one curl in his fins and it's really wierd.
Sometimes giving them a bigger tank helps keep them from curling and can reverse curling hey can extend their fins more preventing the probably. Mine fixed up but it took a while before his fins went to normal.

sometimes it's genetics...then there is really nothing that can be done

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-29-2009 at 05:46 PM.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote