Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #1 
orangeclumsy2

Talking My first fish!

This is my first betta!!! I got him yesterday and I'm not sure how much to feed him. I have gotten many answers from the internet, but the lady at the store said to give him one little pellet a day. It doesnt seem like enough to me. He is in a SMALL bowl. It's like 1/2 gallon. I'm not planning on breeding or anything, but I need to know all the basics of caring for him. Please help me!!
orangeclumsy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #2 
Jynx

My first fish!

does the food have instructions? is it betta pellets? I usually give mine 3-4 pellets a day- but betta can eat other kinds of food- like regular community flake food with high protein lvls- frozen shrimp- blood worms- any meat based packaged fish food
and mine actually also likes algae wafers once in a while- and i give her live shrimp as a treat

the basic rule is- the fishes stomach is the size of his eye- if he's smaller feed him less- if you've fed too much his stomach will swell up and he'll look uncomfortable- don't stress about it just feed him less next time

most of us also have one day a week where the fish gets no food- this helps the digestion

also .5 gallons is pretty small for a tank- the ammonia from his waste will build up fast and you'll have to clean it out 3 times a week to keep it from getting smelly and toxic. if you can, consider upgrading to something larger- it will be easier to take care of and your fish will have more room for exercise and will live longer

.5 gallons is also too small for a heater- betta are tropical fish and need to be kept warm- for now just make sure he's in a warm room

are you using a water treatment? I use chlor-out for my tap water- but there are different kinds- you may want to research the water in your area to find out what kind you need. tap water has chlorine, flouride, hard metals- all kinds of stuff that may be harmful to these little fish

also make sure your tank decor is safe for the betta- no sharp edges or pointy bits- they can tear the fins and cause infection :(

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-21-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #3 
orangeclumsy2

i have one little seahorse deocration in the tank. is that okay? also, my room is the warmest room in the house, so i think he will be okay without a heater. my water is distilled water, so there shouldnt be a need for any water treatment? I'm planning on getting a one gallon bowl for him too. they are betta pellets. i gave him two blood worms and one pellet last night and i tried to give him two pellets today, but he chewed them up and then spit them out.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #4 
Jynx

if he's spitting out the food it may be to big/hard to chew- try soaking it in water for a few minutes before giving it to him if it becomes a problem

I don't know if your seahorse ornament is safe without seeing it- but betta tend to prefer silk plants they can hide in- it makes them less stressed
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #5 
orangeclumsy2

ok thnx for the help. ill try it.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Distilled water isn't good for them because it lacks trace minerals and elements that fish need. Regular tap water is fine as long as it's dechlorinated. Some good brand of dechlorinator are Prime and Aquasafe. There are other brands out there to choose from, though. Most people feed their bettas 2-3 pellets twice a day and, as Jynx said, fast their fish one day a week. They can also eat freeze dried or frozen daphnia, bloodworms and brine shrimp. Freeze dried should be rehydrated to avoid digestive problems.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #7 
Jazattackk

1 pellet a day? Dont starve ur flipping betta!
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #8 
sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazattackk View Post
1 pellet a day? Dont starve ur flipping betta!
If someone is completly new to something and they follow incorrect advice that they were given then it isn't their fault! You can offer helpful advice instead of making comments like that!
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

They may have been told that by a petstore employee.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #10 
sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
They may have been told that by a petstore employee.
And in some cases that can say it all!
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote