betta fish

Old 12-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #11 
doggyhog

BTW, your pair is STUNNING!!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #12 
Lethbridge

plans on breeding

Well there are so many sponge filters out there this is just mostly preference. I use the sponge filter by Elite (type elite sponge filter into google, its the one with the double sponge), i use this one because it has two sponges which gives me double the surface area to grow benificial bacteria, but i do add a gang valve to it to control the flow when breeding, but this sponge filter pulls what through the sponge and up the tube and it lands back into the water which also helps with aeration.Many people use plastic containers to breed it it cheaper, however it is alittle more difficult to keep track of all your fry and when doing water changes etc, you cant really get a good view of what you are sucking up as with a tank you can see everything you are doing. but yes they will be safe and you shouldnt have any problems with them.Yes it looks like you have everything you need but i would like to comment on a few things, first, make sure you have enough bbs cysts for quite some time because they will need food constantly or they will die, also what do you plan to feed for the first few days? or just bbs from the start? second, another good plant that you can use is java fern it requires very little to no light and the females love them for hiding i put about four large plants in one 10 gallon breeding tank, also the male can anchor his nest to this aswell. Third, as for the meds, someone said that melafix is bad for the bettas? i have not heard of this however i have used it in previous spawns without anything going wrong, HOWEVER i have switched to another product since last spawning because alought melafix or permafix works fine it was just not strong enough to kill fungus on fry, where as melafix works great for larger bettas without harming plants, ecosystem etc. The product i use now is called maroxy it works great and i have not had a problem with it at all, i dose a fry tank everyother day when they are young and it helps keep disease down. I would recommend this not only because it works but also because it will not harm your young/old fry. Now about the styrofoam cup, id like to suggest something else, you can use the styrofoam cup and yes it does work, but what i have found while using it is that the fry get stuck to the top or sides of the cup and they dry out and die, like if they are under the cup and a bubble pops sometimes they get stuck to the top of the cup and die. what i found to work great was a piece of bubble wrap cut into a square these works great and keeps the fry safe, also i say that you had ial, i would say use this as an anchor because this most closely mimics the natural habitat of the betta, not only that but the ial will also help keep fungus and other disease at bay for young fry, so i personally would use that. I currently cant get ahold of ial without shipping cost me $50 for a 0.13 cent leaf however i do use blackwater extract with the bubble wrap square. You will more than likely get all marbles, unless the have different genes, i would ask the breeder out bought it from what the parents were and what kind of genes these two old, that will help you determine what kind of fry you will get. but typically you will get 90%+ marbles. your right about the research there are always new techniques coming out and things that you dont know, its a never ending things. Hope some of this helps

Oh also i forgot, your pair looks amazing. and i hope everything goes well with your spawn.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-22-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Lethbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #13 
SweetnSpicy

@ doggyhog - Plastic bins are a go then! Thanks, I love my marbles too :3

@ Lethbridge - Okay, so I will check my LPS and Semi-local FS for Elite sponge filters, they seem pretty nice. I was thinking on using BBS from the start, but if there is something else I can use that is better for them I will try to get it. I can go and pick up another few packs from them before I breed to be prepared. I have a few Java Ferns, but they are rather small, like really small. But hopefully my Banana Lilies would have grown more to have sorta the same effect, they are growing like crazy! I also can check for Maroxy, because I do not really like using Melafix and ect.. We have to have bubble wrap somewhere, so I will use that if it would be better. IAL would also be used. I will check with the breeder to see what their parents were, and their genes. Thank you so much :)
SweetnSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #14 
Lethbridge

Well im not saying you have to use anything i said before i am just telling you what i use and what works for me! Brine shrimp are good from the start however some of the fry may be too small to eat the bbs, though if you go with the san fransisco bay brand brine shrimp eggs they are much smaller than most eggs and the babies will be able to eat them from the start. Banana lilies are a great plant for bettas! Maroxy works for me, and i do not like to use chemicals! i only use them when i am breeding bettas. IAL is very useful and will help the bubble nest stick together better as well as prevent fungus and other disease from forming. Like i said before you dont have to use the bw but it does work and i like it better
Old 12-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #15 
SweetnSpicy

It is okay, I like to try what works best for others, maybe it will do the same for me :3

I do have San Fransicso Bay Brand and another type, but I can use the SFBB first, and the others later on when they are bigger. If I find any Maroxy I will add some, but if not, then just IAL and a little Melafix maybe. Thanks again!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #16 
Lethbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetnSpicy View Post
It is okay, I like to try what works best for others, maybe it will do the same for me :3

I do have San Fransicso Bay Brand and another type, but I can use the SFBB first, and the others later on when they are bigger. If I find any Maroxy I will add some, but if not, then just IAL and a little Melafix maybe. Thanks again!
Maybe who knows! Okay the SFBB will be best to start and then you can use the others later on. IAL is an all around general purpose healer i recommend that regardless! Your bettas will thank you for using it, maroxy is quite useful but i only use it every other day for the first week, then the fry have got over the biggest period where they can get a disease, so if you keep up water changes then you should not have problem!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #17 
SweetnSpicy

Okay, Every other day for the first week, got it! I do keep IAL in my imports tank at all times, because I heard they are more fragile than Petco's and Walmarts fish haha. I also heard you should change the water everyday, but not 100%, like 10% to 20%, because the fry produce hormones that slow their growth. Is that true?

Also, as a proud fish parent, Thai, my male on the first page, made his first bubble nest today! Only a small one, that doesn't even compare to my sister's fish's nests, but still a nice one. Just felt like sharing :3
Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #18 
Lethbridge

Yes IAL is very useful with all bettas not only imports!! Yes i usually do about 20% a day to keep the water clean as well as to remove the hormones. Well thats good! Hopefully he wil continue to make even bigger bubble nests
Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #19 
SweetnSpicy

I love IAL, my Betta's love it, it is a wonderful thing haha. Hopefully he will, his current one is only about the size of a silver dollar at most.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #20 
loppy656

I love your pair! The babbys will be soo cute!

Where do you find marble bettas any way?
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote