Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #1 
Calmwaters

RIP Jack...

We have been with out power since Friday and I could not get out to get to the office to check on everyone here over the weekend. I have a space heater here that keeps the tempature warm in the office but when the power went off and came back on here the heater did not restart so Jacks tank got to cold and he did not make it. He had a heater but I guess it did not keep his tank warm enough. Everyone else was fine and everyone at home is doing ok to. We have a genarator and I have been turning on lights, heaters and filters for a few hours each day which is the best I can do because the genartor is small and we can not run everything at once. I hope everyone else is doing ok in the storm.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #2 
bearwithfish

AAAAawwwww i sorry Calm.... hope all goes well from here out.......
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had no idea you guys were getting a bad storm. I'm so sorry about Jack! I got some shipping heat packs just in case my power ever goes out. If it does, I'll put all my fish in their cups, put them in a cooler and put several heat packs in there to keep them warm. I think they are supposed to last for 8 to 12 hours or something like that.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #4 
Calmwaters

Thanks Bear. Drama we had 1 and 1/2 ft of really heavy wet snow which is alot for here. At home we have a fire place and a kerosene heater and a small generator my dad and I have been chopping wood and carrying it in everyday and let me tell you I am not use to this hard work anymore. LOL I use to do it alot when I was a kid but I have gotten lazy or weak or both in my adult years. LOL
Old 12-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm so sorry about Jack. :( We had a really bad snow storm too, we got 13 inches.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #6 
dr2b

Wow I am sorry to hear about Jack. My biggest fear in this storm we had was my electric would go out and I had no form of heating the tanks (we don't have a generator). We got lucky though...I am now looking for heat packs just incase of a power outage.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #7 
Calmwaters

We did not have one until Saturday I went and got the last one they had that I could afford at Northern Tool, they were sold out at Lowes and Home Depot and I got the one I got for $150 its not very big but it has in my opinion saved my fish includeing my batch of gourami fry.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #8 
dr2b

You got lucky then. I know Friday EVERYTHING sold here. Traffic was stopped dead, people were buying stuff they usually wouldn't even consider buying just incase they were trapped for days. You would have thought the end of the Earth was happening. Stores are still trying to catch their breath here. So you got VERY lucky finding that generator...
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #9 
Calmwaters

Yes I feel lucky and my fish are lucky to. LOL I just got off the phone with my mom and they finally got our power back on.Yippie! No more chopping wood for me! LOL
Old 12-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

We were lucky. We just got a few flurries from that storm. I highly recommend the heat packs. They won't save an entire aquarium but you can at least put the bettas in small containers and put them and a couple of heat packs in a cooler or insulated bag to keep them warm.
Calmwaters, good to hear your power is back on!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote