Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #1 
SmirffyLover189

Ripping His Own Fins!!

What should I do!! i saw him doing it and i freaked out! could it be cause he is bored or because he is stressed from something?? I have aquarium salt but i want to know what is causing this...maybe ill go and get some live plants maybe that will get his attention
SmirffyLover189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #2 
Synthisis

You need to be more specific on what he is doing.
Synthisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Is he biting his tail? They look like a dog chasing his tail. Some think it's from sheer boredom like when we bite our finger nails when we get bored. Just give him salt baths and put something up to the tank to entertain him. I've heard of drawing on their tanks with washable markers to keep them entertained. Some divide the tank and put a female on the other side to distract him.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #4 
JamieTron

Do you have any other bettas in tanks close by? My betta nipped his tail when I had a female in a tank placed beside his, I figured out that he was agitated that he could not get to her so he bit his tail out of frustration I assume. I moved her away from him and now he is fine.

You could also add some more interactive tank decorations to decrease boredom, lots of hiding areas and plants. The silk ones are really cool to have and they don't damage fins
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #5 
SmirffyLover189

yea i literally saw his tail in his mouth! thats what i thought! i have my female vt betta azula in his tank which is divided so you think i should move her?? this happened only after they had spawned and he ate the eggs...maybe he wants to hurry and try again?? because she did get her virtical lines back and her little eggs spot and he rebuilt his nest. so for now i put him back in his cup that i got him in and put some salt in his water along with some anti fungal medication specifically for betta tails at petco. his cup is floating in his tank but i dont trust it like that over night i dont want it to sink and for him to suffocate...i just don't want his water to get too cold and i do plan on getting him some more plants tomarrow...PAYDAY!!

Last edited by SmirffyLover189; 12-23-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:04 AM   #6 
JamieTron

That could be it, if he can see her he may be frustrated that he cannot get to her. Perhaps if you are not planning to breed them you should somehow prevent them from seeing each other? See if the nipping stops. It may not be the female for sure, it is good you are buying some more plant, it couldn't hurt, perhaps he won't mind the female if he has more activities to distract him.

Did you put the medication in his cup or in the tank? You probably shouldn't add it into the water the female is in unless she needs it as well. But I assume she probably got some nips from breeding and stuff so it'll help those. If you added it right to the cup you should watch him because it is hard to administer doses in such a small volume of water.

Salt baths should usually only be about 5 minutes long at a time assuming you used one teaspoon per gallon of water. If you only used a dash or so it should be fine in the tank until the next water change, but it is safer to do dips rather than leaving salt in his tank water. This is because they can have troubles balancing their water and salts in their bodies when placed in salt water...well because they are fresh water species as you know. For tail biting you should only have to do one or two and he should heal up fine. Mine just had one to prevent infection and he healed up pretty fast

Good luck with him, I am sure he will be fine once you figure out what he is fretting about. Generally the nipping is much easier to heal then finrot and stuff which is good You are doing a good job
Old 12-24-2009, 12:43 AM   #7 
SmirffyLover189

Thanks! i just feel bad so i might get the plants and kinda build a wall with them half of it it covered already switch i thought of before hand because i thought well she might not want him to see her all the time or want to see him so i think thats what ill try first and if that doesnt work than im fine getting him his own 5 gal. to put on my desk..its pretty weak so i don't trust it with a fully loaded 10gal or i would...thanks again for the advice..anything for my lil guy its not his fault
Old 12-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #8 
JamieTron

Great idea! covering with the plants just might work good luck!