Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #1 
3ltonWorri3s

Red face Bigger Tank

Okay, I'm looking for a bigger tank. I'm a beginner with fish so I need a little help finding what is best for my male betta.

The closest pet store around is Petsmart, so I have a few affordable tanks pick out there.

One: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...291&lmdn=Price
That would be the 1 gal. tank.

Two: There's also a bowl that's probably about 1.5 gal. They don't have a picture on their site, but it's just an open top.

Three: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...6&ab=fish_fc1a

Also, I'm going to get some live plants. Which ones are best for betta?

Thanks for any help in advance!!
3ltonWorri3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

Well, the third link isn't the tank, it's a replacement light. Eclipse's are a little more expensive than some options you have. If I had to choose between the tank or the 1.5 gallon bowl, I'd take the 2 gallon one in the first link.
I'd go with a bigger tank if you can. I know petsmart has 2.5 gallon glass tanks and you could get a lid as well for not that much. Otherwise, I'd suggest getting a 5 gallon or even 10 gallon kit from Walmart, they're like $30 - $40 and it would be much easier in the long run since you could cycle it and would only have to do partial water changes instead of 100% every couple of days with the smaller ones.
Here's links to look at as a suggestion as well.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753107
and this one would be really good if you're tight on space
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3804454

I'm not really good with plants, so I'll leave that to someone else, but I do know that anything under 2.5 gallons you will probably have a hard time with plants as they would take up some of the swimming space.

Last edited by SaylorKennedy; 12-22-2009 at 11:13 PM.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:58 PM   #3 
Jynx

I have the betta bulbs and i'm really liking them- for a small tank like that you'd just need 1 but they tend to come in packs of several
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #4 
bettaowner101

The bigger the tank the better. You would have to clean it less often and your Betta would be happier in a bigger tank than smaller one. I would get the 2 gallon one.
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #5 
Calmwaters

I agree the bigger the better if you can afford it and have the room. I have both a 5 gallon kit and a 10 gallon kit that I got from Walmart and they are great little tanks. I did switch the bulds that came with the kits out for floresant bulbs they have at Walmart to. I also have a few of the 2.5 gallon tanks that was mentioned above and they are nice to they have a glass lid that lets plenty of light in I got a tetra filter and heater from Walmart for it. As far as plants Java Fern is great for smaller tanks because it does not get to tall and does not require a lot of light, another option would be any of the Wendtii plants they come in a bronze color which is very pretty, as well as green. Once I know for sure what size tank you get I maybe able to suggest more plants. The real plants in my opinion are great for the fish and look so pretty in the tanks.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #6 
3ltonWorri3s

Okay, thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with the 2.5 gal. I'll just clean it more often.
3ltonWorri3s is offline   Reply With Quote