Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #1 
leese66

Help!!!

Can anyone HELP. Smokie is sick!
He's had this discoloration for a least 6 months and seemed to be OK health wise so I just assumed he was changing colors with age. I then notice that his dorsal fin(I think) looked like part was missing.He's suppose to be a half moon but I think a mistake was made. Then I notice with white spot on his body. I did 10 days of 2-2 1/2 tsp of salt changing the H2O daily. White spot seems alittle smaller and I think I see alittle regrowth by his fin but I'm not sure. NO HUGE IMPROVEMENT. It's day 2 of giving him a break with just clean treated H2O hoping he'll perk up but he's just not himself so I'm lost as to what to do next. I don't want to kill him with meds not knowing what it is. Body Rot, Fungal, Bacterial, Columanaris. He doesn't seem to do so hot in meds. I did try kanaplex and furan 2 for only 1 day (I know not smart). Any input would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Attached Images

leese66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:11 PM   #2 
FishyWater2525

I personally think you have a case of advanced fin rot and body rot... You're going to need more than salt to treat this, but I'm not very good with recommending meds. So I'll wait for a more experienced keeper to come along.
It would help a lot if you could answer all these questions:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
FishyWater2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #3 
leese66

Smokie

Hi, Thanks for your reply.. It's the only one I've had so far. I kinda thought major fin rot. I think time is running out for him. I put him in betta revive last night but he seems worse. He hasn't eaten in 2 days & just floating on top. His gills look like they are open which I've never seen before. answers to your questions are I've had him almost 2 yrs, he lives alone in a 2 1/2 gal tank. I normally change his H20 100% every week or so and that seemed to work out fine. I treat the H2O with 1/4 tsp aquarium salt along with Kordon AmQuel + and NovAqua +. He's never really been sick, just not very active fish compared to my other betta which I do the same routine with and he's totally fine. The tanks are not heated temps are usually around 74 degrees,no filter,no aeration. he eats Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets usually 2 in AM and 2 in PM. I've never tested the H2O before because there was never a problem. All my previous bettas I did the exact same thing with and they were always happy, healthy and lived pretty long. I'm just at a loss as to what Smokie has and how to treat it?!
Old 03-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #4 
FishyWater2525

If I may ask, is that a fish bowl of some sort? Or a rounded tank?
And a betta needs a heater. They prefer temps of 78-80 degrees F. If I were you, with his condition and having no filter, I'd do a 50% water change every other day. Maybe up his eating a little to 3-4 pellets twice a day.. Although that depends completely in the fish.. Lol
Not trying to tell you your a horrible owner or anything! Just some basic pointers that should help ;)

I'd get him a heater for starters, as warm water has done miracles for many keeper's fish!!! I'm NOT saying a heater will heal Smoky, but it will definitely help! :)

You know, I'm pretty sure that pineapple decoration was in the dangerous decor thread... I'd keep an eye on it, but I don't think that's the problem. He may not have very long, I agree, but again I'll have to wait for a more experienced keeper to advise you on meds.. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help! I really wish you and smoky the best of luck!
FishyWater2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #5 
Fourthwind

Water temp to at least 78. 80 to 82 would be better. Kanaplex dosed to the recommended level with aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon per gallon. Do the water changes of 50% every two days with Seachem prime. The quicker you start the better.
Fourthwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #6 
Greenapp1es

Yeah, that black edge really does look like rot.

Betta Revive wouldn't be enough here. He needs antibiotics, like the the Kanaplex suggested above. Also - in the short term, I'd change the water 100% every day in a 2 gal until you get the antibiotics to dose.

You can add aquarium salt at 1tsp per gallon as well. It won't help the rot much directly, but it will help keep the tank sterile.
Greenapp1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #7 
leese66

Smokie

Thank you all that replied with advice and suggestions! Smokie passed away this AM I feel just terrible. He took a big turn for the worst. Overnight he just bloated up. Wish I could have known what he had and how to treat alot sooner. I really tried to save him, maybe I tried to many things and it shut his organs down but I'm just wrecked. I've had many before him and never had anything like this happen before. MY POOR LITTLE GUY!!! So now NOT KNOWING FOR SURE what took him from me I'm wondering about the tank. IF I do end up getting another eventually (most likely not) any suggestions on how to clean/sterilize the tank(It's like plexiglass) so it can be used again. Is there a product to use that will kill any bacteria or fungus or whatever so others don't get what he had?!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #8 
Greenapp1es

I'm sorry for your loss SIP little guy.

As for the tank, I'd sanitize it in a bleach solution, 1 part bleach 9 parts water (so 10% bleach). Rinse well - then rinse again. Ideally you don't want any bleach smell left, but if there *is* anything left your dechlorinator should take care of it.
Greenapp1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #9 
Fourthwind

Sorry to hear it :(
Fourthwind is offline   Reply With Quote