Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #1 
doughnut

Smile Betta noob :-) looking for info

Hey all my sister and I came home for Christmas and she brought me a betta fish that she no longer wants to keep, Ringo (after Ringo Starr from the beatles, due to the fish haveing a sedentary lifestyle and lack of enthusiasm). I really dont know much about bettas, the care, temp etc.. I also dont know if this is a male or female and what type it is. I'd love some info if possible and I will be sifting through the threads in this area when I can. My main question is if it would be compatible in a 10g with 5 cherry barbs that I have. Its a cycled tank, and the ph hangs around 6 to 6.2. I'd really like to get it out of its small vase if possible, but I'm afraid that the barbs will nibble on the beautiful finnage of Ringo. (trying to attach a picture but its my first time)
Attached Images

doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #2 
lilyrazen

It's a boy VeilTail (VT). And the barbs will nibble on his fins, plus you need it to be more around 7.2 Ph. He will probably need to either give the barbs to a petstore for re-adoption or get him a bigger tank, for that vase will need to be cleaned every couple days. If you can re home the barbs he will be a lot more active and happy, plus you can have some cories shrimp otos mollies platys or many more types of companions in your ten gallon. Or you could divide it it two three or four for more bettas!
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #3 
doughnut

Oh no no I can't rehome the barbs. I guess I'll just have to find a 1.5gal to 2g tank to put him in. I don't see a problem with getting another tank . As far as temp and filtration, do I need a heater(if so what temp?) and small filter if the tanks that large and I keep up with the w/c? Do I need to use special betta pellets for food? What else could I use for variety? I've got frozen blood worms for my barbs. Would the betta like them?

Thanks
doughnut
doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

A 2G would be better for your betta. You should get a heater. The water needs to stay at 75-80 degrees and some heaters automatically keep the water at 78 degrees. They can eat blood worms but only as a treat, not a regular meal. I have Wardley's pellets and my bettas love them. Also, it's good to fast your betta once a week because it's good for their digestive system. You'll also need water conditioner if you're using tap water. It helps keep your fish safe from the chemicals and bad things in your tap water. Most tanks come with a filter, I personally don't use mine, but if you don't use them, you'll have to clean your tank more often. A 2G should be cleaned twice a week 100%. The bigger the tank, the less you have to clean it. Good luck! :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I agree with the bigger tank. I have 5 of the Aqueon 2.5 gal. mini bows. Once they're cycled, they are really easy to maintain and it's a perfect size to keep your bettas happy and healthy.

Good luck.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #6 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
you don't need to use water conditioner if you use distiled water, it works great, and my bettas love it, and everything the others said is great
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Distilled water lacks trace elements, minerals and stuff that fish need.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

You wouldn't need a filter for a 2 gallon. Honestly if you 100% a 2 gallon once a week it would be fine.
As far as food, my pickier Bettas love the Betta Bio-Gold Pellets. Wardleys is the other brand I use, along with bloodworms as a treat.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, I clean my 2.5Gs twice a week because I want them squeaky clean.lol
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #10 
Kelso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Distilled water lacks trace elements, minerals and stuff that fish need.
This...when I purchase water I get purified drinking water, because they put those trace elements back in. Sometimes I even just use spring water.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote