Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #1 
streetlightdawn

New betta sits in corner

So yesterday I went out and bought a 2.5 gallon tank and an awesome dt betta. I set up the tank, added the water treater, and then acclimated him by letting him float in a cup in the water and then pouring some of the new water into his cup. When I finally put him into the new tank, he swam around a bit, but then went to the corner behind one of the plants near the surface, and hasn't moved since.
At first I thought that he was just resting cause it had been a big day, but this morning he is still in the exact same place with his fins clamped. He doesn't move except to raise his head to get some air. I tried feeding him but he doesn't pay any attention to the pellets.
The only thing that I can think that I am doing wrong is that I don't have a heater. I tried to buy one from petsmart and petco, but they were both sold out. I checked the water temperature though, and it's at 73 degrees.
Should I be doing somethinge else? I don't know the parameters, but I can't imagine that the ammonia or anything is high considering the water is all new from yesterday afternoon. Sorry for the long post
streetlightdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #2 
Yuuki

The temperature could definately be part of the problem. 73 is a little cold for bettas and can make them act this way.

Only other thing I could think of... are you using a water conditioner?

Otherwise, I haven't got a clue, unless it just happens that you bought him sick. They're always a bit shy when you bring them home, but having them sit in the corner for so long is unusual.

Does he react at all if you try touching him?
Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #3 
streetlightdawn

Yeah I put in a water conditioner. I'm going back to petsmart on Tuesday cause that's when the employee said they get shipments in, so hopefully a heater comes in.
He'll move a little bit when I tap on the glass or something. He did swim to hide behind the filter now, so I'm feeling a bit better, but now he's just sitting behind the filter... Maybe he is just used to being stuck in a little bowl and isn't sure what to do with so much space?
streetlightdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #4 
Katana

the first few days mine did that.. sat behind the plant 4 ever. i put in a little toy though, and now he's swimming around it. dunno if that helps.

Katana
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #5 
3ltonWorri3s

Yeah, he's probably shy.
3ltonWorri3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #6 
lilyrazen

I bet he's fine, he's probably just stressed to be in such a different environment. Give him a day or so and he should be better!
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, it may be that he's still stressed and getting used to his new home. Hopefully, he'll be ok in a day or two.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote