Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 AM   #1 
Katana

Question i don't know what to do...

I got a new betta for christmas (katana), and a new small tank (like less than one gallon). it came with a small plant and gravel. three days in i noticed Katanas fins were very droopy and he/she (don't know yet) kept hiding in the corner and only eating when i wasn't looking. is there somthing wrong or is this normal? i added a small donald duck figurine to the tank to relive some bordom, but the same results.

he/she is kept in a corner of my desk, it is abit dark there but its where katana gets most attention.

Thanks,
Katana.

Btw, is there any threds to figure out if katana is a boy or girl? please post links. thx..

Oh yeah, P.s. this is my first ever betta.

Last edited by Katana; 12-27-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #2 
Katana

Alright so Update -
Katana's still looking depressed, but im going to petcetera soon with 40$.
Any idea what i could buy her? (im assuming her with the white dot near the anal tail)

i look at the box - half gallon starter tank. should i get a new one? but if i do i won't have enough for a filter.

Regards,
Katana
Old 12-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #3 
3ltonWorri3s

Heyy Katana, I have the same size tank and my betta was acting that way too. So I posted, asking what was wrong. People kept telling me to get a bigger tank. At least a 2.5 gal.

I keep mine on my desk too, but I have my lamp turned on him during the day. He really likes that. I'm at my desk most of the time now, so he's been perking up. If you put things by your betta's tank he/she'll like that too. I'd take the small plant out if it's plastic because it will tare your betta's fins. Mine did at least. Also, the toy might be to much. Maybe if you take the plant out it wont, but idk.

Here are some links so you can see the difference between a male and female:

This is a female-
http://www.oneworldinternetcafe.com/betta/betta05G.jpg
Their fins are much shorter and not as pretty.

This is a male-
http://www.aquariumuniverse.com/KEYW...tta%20fish.jpg
Their fins are much longer.

You might want to get a new tank with that money. You can get a 2.5 gal that comes with a filter and everything. Otherwise, you should do a 100% water change every day. I do a 20% one day and a 100% every other day.

Hope this helps! :)
3ltonWorri3s
3ltonWorri3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #4 
Katana

Okay thx :).
The toy, well not really a toy, stands 1 inch high, 20 mm wide.its buried in gravel so it dosn't float, so like 3 cm high now. its off to the side, and Katana likes to swim around it.

The plant Is plastic, but im afraid to take it out becuase Katana hides behind it.Maybe when i get a bigger tank it will come with a better plant.

the desk lamp i do not have. i can put Katana in sunlight with the window for about 2-3 hrs, or use a book light, but thats it. would my bedside table lamp work?

As for male/female, i think its a male because inch and a half tail :)

EDIT: i have a stuffed donald duck (1 foot high) sitting right beside Katana. he stares at him in awe sometimes :)

P.S. can you tell who my fav disney character is?

i will let you know when i go to pet store.

Ty,
Katana.

Last edited by Katana; 12-27-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #5 
3ltonWorri3s

okay yeah, your bedside lamp would work. And you could to the window. As long as there's some light.

Yeah, I was scared to take my plant out too, but I didn't like that he was getting all ripped up. :( I'm saving for a bigger tank and then I'm going to get a real plant.

3ltonWorri3s
P.S. The plant should be okay then.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #6 
3ltonWorri3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ltonWorri3s View Post
P.S. The plant should be okay then.
Haha, I ment to say toy. Sorry :)
Old 12-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #7 
Katana

Haha okay :). you know you can edit your posts too? i like that part. on other forums we can't edit them :)

Thx,
Katana.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #8 
lilyrazen

OH, and as for the short/long fins idea, there are Plakat males that will appear to be females too, so if she has an egg spot, she's a girl!
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #9 
Katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrazen View Post
OH, and as for the short/long fins idea, there are Plakat males that will appear to be females too, so if she has an egg spot, she's a girl!
okay. i honestly don't know anymore... is the spot underneath the betta? or at where the one tail stops and the bottom one begins? and if so, is it completely white? because mines a lighter blue.

EDIT: this has been bothering me for awhile. is there any diffrence in care for splendens and normal? thx.

Last edited by Katana; 12-27-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #10 
3ltonWorri3s

What are splendens?? :0