Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #11 
lilyrazen

well its under the abdomen.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #12 
Katana

i belive (could be wrong) that splendens are the fighting fish.. ? ors is there no diffrence between them? "Discuss Betta and Betta Splendens" is what this forum is called. (look up)

Well, update again.

The pet store was closed, so im going to really nice (and far) one tommorow.

Katanas gender is Unkown, im taking a pic of him/her to pet store tommorow fer some help =P

and ive been hearing that betta's don't need 2.5G tanks. apparently they an live just fine in 1/2 G tank? and be fed once a day only flakes? and plastic plants are "fine"? and can still live for 5 years with these..requrements? (all from people whove had them.)

I dunnow.
Thx,
Katana.

Btw katana is perking up and greeting me when i come to my desk by geting out of her/his hiding spot. is this a good thing?
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas need 2.5 gallons or larger to really be happy. They need to be fed twice a day and a good pellet food like Wardleys pellets or Hikari betta bio gold is recommended. Silk plants are better than plastic because plastic plants can have sharp edges that can tear a betta's fins.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #14 
Katana

Ahh thank you. the proper words in there are "really be happy".
Of course, unlike me, my family dosn't think fish do anything but swim eat and Poop, so the term "happy" can not be applied. they don't belive in me spending my $ on a bigger tank for katana.
Of course they are COMPLETELY wrong. fish are much smarter than they think they are. im am currently playing *find the light* with a laser pointer. (Katana follows wherever the pointer goes )

Thanks drama,
Katana.

I am feeding katana 2-3 flakes at 9:00am, 4 flakes at 3:30 and 1 flake at 10:00. is that too much?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #15 
vaygirl

They're happier with more space for sure. We always say something to the effect that... a person could live in a closet for five years but they wouldn't be very healthy or happy. You could try that on your parents. :D

I have my guy in a 16 gallon and he spends pretty much all day 'hunting' through the plants, driftwood and the rocks. Betta's are predators and predators are smart. Your fish is probably hunting the laser. I never thought of that. I'm going to try it with Tango. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

That sounds like a lot of flakes to me. I would recommend a good pellet food like Wardleys or Hikari betta bio gold.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:05 AM   #17 
Jupiter

Betta splendeds are what we keep, AKA Siamese fighting fish. But there is a bigger genus of Betta which has other species, such as Betta Imbellis.

Your betta will be happier in a bigger tank! Like others have mentioned, they can survive in a small tank, but will thrive in a bigger one.

DO NOT put your tank in direct sunlight! For now, try to place his/her tank in the warmest area of the house, or use a lamp. When you upgrade the tank, it will be easier to find a heater.

Most petstore people don`t know what they`re talking about, btw. Just come to us when you have questions.

Sexing can be tricky sometimes. Females generally have shorter fins, and can get horizontal stress stripes (which are less common with males). One of the surest signs is and egg spot. Here's the best picture I could find of one of my girls where the eggspot is visible:

Last edited by Jupiter; 12-28-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #18 
Katana

Alright so the egg spot is not where i tough it would be. Katana is male.

I have a lamp but it dosn't give much heat, and Katana freaking out about it. currently nose pressed againts the glass towards the light, and having little spazes. also his tails are much proper looking. normally they're droopy. now the top ones standing up. dose this mean he's pissed? or stressed?

Going to the pet store today. gunna get what i can with 40$. prolly a new tank and food. (pellets)

Ty,
Katana
Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #19 
SASSweetassin

XD Nice.

Last edited by SASSweetassin; 12-28-2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Mistake
SASSweetassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #20 
rubyfire

id say hes happy and excited about the light ;) lol
rubyfire is offline   Reply With Quote