Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #21 
AngelicScars

Good luck on getting the bigger tank, I know he'll love it!
2.5g is a great size. Make sure you have a hood/lid, and light is always nice. The Hydor Mini Heater will be great in colder temps (they like to be around 78-80 degrees F). A thermometer would be a good idea too.
Make sure you have a good water conditioner, I like Prime personally.
I agree with the above suggested foods, Betta Bio-Gold and Wardleys. Fasting once a week is a good idea too, to let their digestive system have a day to rest. Oh! a hiding spot would be great for him too, he'll love it. A cave/bridge/even a terra cotta pot would be great. A few plants (silk or plastic will do fine, just make sure to test the plastic on toilet paper or pantyhose , if it tears them it will tear his fins). You should be set! Hope that helps! :D
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #22 
Katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
Good luck on getting the bigger tank, I know he'll love it!
2.5g is a great size. Make sure you have a hood/lid, and light is always nice. The Hydor Mini Heater will be great in colder temps (they like to be around 78-80 degrees F). A thermometer would be a good idea too.
Make sure you have a good water conditioner, I like Prime personally.
I agree with the above suggested foods, Betta Bio-Gold and Wardleys. Fasting once a week is a good idea too, to let their digestive system have a day to rest. Oh! a hiding spot would be great for him too, he'll love it. A cave/bridge/even a terra cotta pot would be great. A few plants (silk or plastic will do fine, just make sure to test the plastic on toilet paper or pantyhose , if it tears them it will tear his fins). You should be set! Hope that helps! :D
Alright! i havn't been n the past day cause my computer mouse went dead =P. i got a new one. so heres my epilog -

KATANA swims happily around his own 15gal tank. he is currently hiding in his new cave, wich is surrounded by plants. he loves to play with his refelection in the glass. katana is getting fed 2 pellets and 4 flakes everyday, slowly easing into the pelets (even tho most of them don't fit in his mouth! =P)

KATANAS OWNER is still recovering from his heart attack when katana decided to jump out of the cup he was in when moving tanks. he had to pick katana off the ground and plop him back in. he is also wondering, since lids were too expensive if he fills the water so that there 2-3 inches bettween the top, will katana still jump out? he couldn't afford a filter but dosn't mind cleaning the tank every week. he also couldnt afford a light but in katanas new home, ( top of wardrobe ) there is a window wich lets in lots of light for bout 7 hours. even then when katana's owner comes in, the light goes on, and theres a crazy colour switching lamp right beside the tank the never turns off.

THE TANK did not come with a heater or anything, so katanas owner takes out/puts in 1 gal of cold/warm water.

Yep thats pretty much it. w00t.
Thx for everyones help. pics coming soon.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #23 
AngelicScars

I would highly recommend getting a heater as soon has he can.
Lowering the water level is a good idea if there is no hood on the tank. Also, I don't think the tank needs to be in direct sunlight.
Sounds good, and I'm glad to hear he has a nice big tank to swim around in! :D
Old 12-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #24 
Katana

Its not in direct sunlight, i raise the blind but leave the light-defusing sheers down.

Ill go take some pics to show you.
Cheers :)

P.s. i think i selling a ds game for 40$. will tha get me a heater?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #25 
Katana

here you go.

Last edited by Katana; 12-29-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: soz bout the size and crap camera
Old 12-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #26 
vaygirl

Yeah, that'll get you a heater. Don't go with store brand though. They are awful! Try a Marineland Stealth. Very reliable and about 25 or 35 bucks if I remember right.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #27 
Katana

yeah. savving up. lol. very sxpensive for a $3 fish =P. but i love him :D
Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #28 
AngelicScars

That is a great brand, you can also get a tetra heater which is cheaper, but doesn't have the option to set the temp.
The tank looks great! I few more plants and such in there and it will be perfect for the little guy!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #29 
Katana

yeah sorry took out the plants for cleaning =P. fergot to put them back in for the pic.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #30 
Jazattackk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
i belive (could be wrong) that splendens are the fighting fish.. ? ors is there no diffrence between them? "Discuss Betta and Betta Splendens" is what this forum is called. (look up)

Well, update again.

The pet store was closed, so im going to really nice (and far) one tommorow.

Katanas gender is Unkown, im taking a pic of him/her to pet store tommorow fer some help =P

and ive been hearing that betta's don't need 2.5G tanks. apparently they an live just fine in 1/2 G tank? and be fed once a day only flakes? and plastic plants are "fine"? and can still live for 5 years with these..requrements? (all from people whove had them.)

I dunnow.
Thx,
Katana.

Btw katana is perking up and greeting me when i come to my desk by geting out of her/his hiding spot. is this a good thing?
Well they can survive in 1/2 gallons, but they wont be happy. That's actually sorta cruel. Your betta should have atleast 2.5 gallons, but 5 or more gallons would be the best. And they dont really like flakes that much. Buy pellets that are ment for bettas, and feed your fish 3-6 pellets a day. And plastic plants arnt "fine". they will tear your fish's fins. Whoever told you these things obviousy don't know anything about bettas.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote