Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #1 
Aennedry

Divided 20 L questions

Hello everyone. My spring/summer project is to divided a 20 long into a four unit tank for bettas. I am trying to use what equipment I have for it. On filtration I was wondering if my Eheim Classic Canister Filter 2213 would be good enough to give the circulation needed for the tank without stirring up the bettas. I know when I was running it in my old 29 it did not seem to have that strong of a flow. Intake in one side of the tank, outtake in the other side of the tank. I am not sure which way I would place the spray bar vertically or horizontally. And what heater arrangement would be the best. I am not sure that one heater for a 20gal would fit in a single compartment so I was thinking two smaller heaters in alternating sections. I was thinking that they would fit better and the tank would be more evenly heated.
The dividers I am planning on making out of acrylic, with 1/8" holes for circulation and several 1/4" holes near the bottom for shrimp passage from one section to another.
I just need some advice from those members who are running the larger multi-divided tanks and have already gone through all this.
Thank you
=^._.^=
Aennedry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #2 
iFish22

Are you talking about 20 litres or gallons? I agree with you on the heaters how about two 50 watt heaters? The Acrylic is clear right? I would do something solid so they can't always see each other. Do the shrimp need to go from section to section because what if the bettas can go through also?
iFish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #3 
Aennedry

A 20 gallon long. Dividing 20 liters would be very small. And I was planning on black acrylic to match my sand. I would like the shrimp to be able to travel, and I am wavering back and forth between adding some ottos, and they would not be happy trapped in small sections without reaching their friends. I know people have done it, I just need to know how it worked for them.
Aennedry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #4 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the Land of Skiing, Festivals, and Incredibly Rich
it depends on how big the whole are, I think. my betta is like Houdini, I swear he can get out of anything. once, back when I was young and stupid, I was carefully pouring the water out, a small pencile thin stream at a time that barley bubbled over the lip. my betta was at the compleat opposite side of the tank, then in a moment of brilliance, shot forward like a bullet, jumped the lip and landed promptly in the toilet. I had a panic attack while he explored and then came back to where I could scoop him up and looked at me like "ok im done with having fun. you can put my back now." he is so cute. he survived without a nick or any other ill effects. I still cannot believe he did it. I have since gotten a net and a second small tank to use for water changes.
BlueLacee is offline   Reply With Quote