Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #1 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
Exclamation Elements and price for a good sorority

okay I have $45 bucks in gift cards, and probably more coming soon, I was wonering how much money a good female betta sorority is, what you guys put in it, this is all for 10 gallons, how to grow live plants, how many females to put in it ( i think five females), and meads to keep in it, so PLZ respond , with no rude comments

thanks K stiles
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #2 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
oh and one more thing, I have distilled water at my house. it keeps water waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cleaner than water conditioner.

also what kind of heater/filter should I use

Cories or ottos? (I was thinking ottos they are cheaper at petsmart)

lastly what kind of females do your petcos have?

Last edited by k stiles; 12-27-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: puncuation
Old 12-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

[quote=k stiles; so PLZ respond , with no rude comments

thanks K stiles[/quote]

You sound like Loppy! lol
I would have 4 or 5, whatever your preference is. You'll need lots of plants and hiding spaces. If you want real plants, other members can tell you about them and what to get. I wish someone would have given ME some gift cards to a pet store. No one supports my betta addiction. Boo hoo! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #4 
k stiles

Kay thanks DQ
Old 12-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're welcome! :)
I think you can use a 50 watt heater in a 10 gallon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #6 
k stiles

for rocks, I was thinking big river rocks, from outside (not out of the dirt or a river) its from our rock garden outside
Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #7 
puppyrjjkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k stiles View Post
for rocks, I was thinking big river rocks, from outside (not out of the dirt or a river) its from our rock garden outside
That's a great idea I did the same thing for my sorority when i used my 10 gallon. Just make sure you rinse off excess debris from the rocks before putting them in your tank. A nice rock wall looks fabulous and there are plenty of hiding places for all the girls. Good luck!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #8 
AngelicScars

I think for a good setup, it is going to cost at least $100 or so.
Lots of plants and hiding places is a necessity. I honestly wouldn't bring rocks in from a garden outside, but that's just my opinion.
Cories aren't algae eaters, they are bottom feeders. The eat the extra food that is dropped and of course whatever else you feed them. Otos on the other hand are algae eaters. So, I guess it depends on what you are looking for exactly. Cories are best in shoals of 6, in that case it would over populate a 10 gallon. Otos can live best with a little as 3 together. BUT, they are sensitive to water parameters. I never had a problem with my Otos though, other then they are huge waste producers. Also, keep in mind that some people have trouble putting together a sorority (sometimes they don't work). So, don't get discouraged if it does not work out as planned. I hope that helps! :D
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:37 AM   #9 
Jupiter

My tank was free, but with the decor, heater, filter, sand, etc, i'm guessing it came to about $100.

I would add 5 females. Maybe a pair of dwarf frogs or some shrimp, but Cories would be over-stocking imo, since they need to be kept in shoals. You'll need a plant/hiding space for each female, so at least 5. The more the better, though.

Large river rocks aren't a very good idea. Not only are they hard to clean, but I've had a few instances where a female betta I used to have would wedge herself under the rocks.

I don't have Petco here, so I can't help you. We just have VT females at Petsmart.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #10 
k stiles

okay thanks