Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #1 
mercurialistroamer

Hi, new here first time Betta

Hi, I just bought my betta yesterday, as a late Christmas gift from a cousin. It's a male crown tail...and I have a few questions lol

Now, I spoke with several people yesterday and (I know I could have googled it, that's my bad) no one told me about acclimating the tank and the nitrigen cycle before introducing the fish...it's just a small plastic tank...although I plan on getting him a large one soon... also I was not informed that distilled water was bad...in fact in the pet store they told me to use distilled water. So, I got home...set up his tank...let the water get warm (I bought him a heater, and a small air pump) and then put him inside. Will he be okay? He seems to be doing fine, other than flaring at his own reflection constantly.

What does it mean when they yawn? When he flares, occasionally he looks like he's yawning. Is he getting enough air, or is that part of flaring?

What can I do to make him feel more comfortable. He has a small cup like thing to hide and swim in, he has a leaf bed and like I said earlier he has a pump and a heater. His stripes are still horizontal which I read means he's nervous...will it just take time for him to feel comfortable?

Also, since the tank is clear around all sides and has a lamp under the lid can I put paper around the back and sides of the tank to hide his reflection so he doesn't exhaust himself flaring? If so, do they have a pattern they prefer or do I just print off something I like?
mercurialistroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #2 
Betta Nut

I am so annoyed at pet store employess giving advice on things they know nothing about! Your boy will be fine, and it's very good you got a heater!
Now, for the pump, I assume it's just to make bubbles in the tank, and not attached to a filter? bettas have no use for aeration, as they get all their air from the surface. So I'd return the air pump, and get a thermometer and water conditioner (Seachem Prime will be the best choice). Distilled water is actually bad for them, it containes no electrolytes or minerals they need. Tap water/conditioner is best!
About using paper printouts to reduce reflections, that's a good idea, if he's always flaring. Light colors are better than dark colors for reducing reflections, and non-glossy.
There's a lot more, but this is a good start :)
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #3 
ABETTAVOICE

Make sure the flow of the pump is very slow, Betta fish do not like much movement, it stresses them out. Also, no light on for awhile, in my experience it does cause them stress too. I have a 2 gallon unfiltered and my Betta loves this. I change water and test religiously, he is housed in our living room so I put a cardboard partition around his tank every night so that he can destress.
ABETTAVOICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #4 
tiffanylucky

Welcome. Buy him a cave, my bettas love them. I have a 1.5 gallon Un filtered tank and a 5 gallon filtered tank. They take turns in the five gallon. Do you have blood worms? It's betta treats that only costs around $2.00 and you get thousands of them in a small container. My bettas will jump for them if I hold it over the tank, about three inches out of the water.
tiffanylucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #5 
tiffanylucky

I test water weekly and they're kept in my room
tiffanylucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #6 
mercurialistroamer

So the air stone doesn't do anything but make bubbles? He seems to enjoy them...so I think I'll keep it even though he doesn't need it, it came with the tank. I have a thermometer too, I'll grab some conditioner and a filter next weekend (gotta wait for the paycheck)

What do they like to play with and what can I do to make him feel more at home and safe?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #7 
mercurialistroamer

This is the tank I have for right now, although I do plan on buying him the five gallon they have at wal-mart.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Old 02-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #8 
Betta Nut

I have that same aquarium for one of my boys :)
I never did use the "undergravel filter" , middle tube, or airstone... I like seeing them make bubble nests, and they won't with surface disturbance. Also, the tube right in the middle takes up space. Other than that, it's a decent little tank. I wouldn't bother getting a filter, personally. Not for a 1G anyway. The light in the tank has been enough to keep a plant alive for me for a couple months (moneywort) maybe he'd enjoy something like that! This is mine, for the record.
Name:  wilbur3.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  37.6 KB
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #9 
ABETTAVOICE

If the blood worms are freeze dried, make sure to soak in some tank water for 10 min. these are notorious for Betta constipation. I go frozen and shave off a tiny amount, put it in a shot glass to thaw and take a plastic sample spoon put it just above the water and he yummms it right off.
ABETTAVOICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #10 
mercurialistroamer

This is my betta by the way...I haven't figured out his name yet. I want to see what he's like first. Does he look healthy?

Tags
first betta, first tank, flaring, nitrigen cycle