Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Females with angelfish/gouramis?

I'm pretty sure this won't work at all but just curious. My dad wants to cut down on tanks in the house, so he was wondering if you could put female bettas in a community tank. It is a 50 or 55 gallon with 2 angelfish (medium size), 2 gold gouramis, 1 pearl gourami, 3 platies, some tetras , and a pleco. Is there anyway my 6 girls would get along in here? I've had male bettas in communities with very similar fish (including gouramis and angelfish) and have never had a problem... what do you guys think?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #2 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
again as most people say, it depents on the fishies temperment, but otherwise I think it would work
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #3 
DragonFish

Yup, it really depends on the temperament of the fish if we're talking about bickering and such, BUT I would be really worried about the Angels going after the females eventually.....my lone, adult angel I know would pick on and kill my females, however he would usually tolerate any fish until he hit adulthood....and he now still tolerates my honey Gourami, but he HAS taken a few nips at her and shes grown some....something as small as a female betta, if I were to put it in today, I'm sure would be killed within a day or two. I, personally, wouldn't want to risk it but its up to you....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #4 
lilyrazen

Yeah, I wouldn't, for my single angel fish killed everything in our 55 long when I was 7, and the gouramis are known to fight with bettas.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #5 
puppyrjjkm

Hmm that's interesting. We had a pair of full grown angels before these guys and they never bothered anyone.. I guess all I could do is try and move everyone back if it didn't work out..
Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #6 
puppyrjjkm

YAY! everyone is getting along :) the neons are cories are really liking their new tank too. the girls are a little shy, but haven't had any stress stripes, just a little pale coloring that disappeared this morning :) all is good! time to work on the boys tank, thanks for your guy's help.