Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #11 
MollyJean

I think I'll wait on the filter til I see how the food change works out. And I wasn't aware that the water might be cloudy at fight. I'll be cleaning out the whole bowl and gravel tomorrow before I put any toys in (already have water sitting) and will give him the new food for a few days without changing the water. See if it clears up or not.

Oh, one more question. With the fens being so big, they don't like little castles and stuff they can swim into, right? It needs to be something they can go right out of like a bridge or arch, right? I know my daughter is going to want a castle (she saw Dora castles while I was looking on the Petsmart website) but I need to get something appropriate for the fish, not her bedroom decor.

Really want to get pictures of him.. but hes home looks so bad.. think I'll wait >.>
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

They like stuff they can swim in and out of as long as they can't get stuck in it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #13 
MollyJean

Then I think that's it! Seems simple enough. Thanks for all the help.

Does it seem like I'm doing ok? Like I said, haven't done fish in years, but I'm trying. In fact I think I'm getting a little addicted. My husband is making fun of me.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you're doing ok. I think I'd get rid of the noisy heater. Mine aren't noisy. I have 1 Marineland stealth visitherm and 2 tetra whisper heaters. They all work fine. Yes, bettas are VERY addictive!! Watch out! lol Oh, and not all Walmarts sell fish. Mine doesn't.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #15 
MollyJean

Mine never has.. well it's only been in place for 6 years, but they have never sold any type of pet. The one in Fountain City (out Knoxville) isn't allowed to sell them, they had some problems about 10 years ago and stopped selling pets.. but my mother in law says she got this one there. She says they only had 5 male bettas, and the other 4 barely moved. He came in a little Tupperware-type bowl thing with slits CUT into the top with a box cutter or something and a sticker on the side with the bar-code and some basic instructions. When she told me, I wanted to drive the hour out there and get the others. Heck, I'm pretty sure that's why my mother in law got him, she felt sorry for him. Walmart should never sell pets, it makes me sick.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have heard so many horror stories about how Walmart doesn't take care of their fish.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #17 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
thats no firts, trust me, hello and welcome to the fourm!!! (:
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 AM   #18 
dr2b

I used to get fish at Walmart because there was no other choice. But at the time, it wasn't half as bad as it is now. I haven't even checked that Walmart to see if they still sell them...I always go to Petsmart, Petco, or the other lfs. But - welcome to the forum, glad Lunch is doing well. I will say also that my one cat (the other two could care less) LOVES the fish. We call it his after dinner entertainment (or the fishtube)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:43 AM   #19 
MollyJean

All 3 of my cats are getting a kick out of the fish. he's on top of a console TV and they can't get up there to him without knocking stuff over, so they don't even try. Oh, no worries, it's an early 80s console, HUGE MASSIVE BIG wood box with a TV in it, no heat. Anyway, they just lay on my daughter's bed and watch him, nap a little, and watch some more. At least they're not chasing my chickens >.<

Thanks for the friendly welcome, by the way! Really nice to be here. Er.. is it a bad thing that I'm already wanting another one? LOL.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:38 AM   #20 
Kelso

Now...it's a little expensive, BUT it would be the best for lunch...if you're willing to, I'd get a 10 gallon starter kit...especially the aqueon brand with the heater included. I use this tank for my dwarf puffers, and honestly I can say it was the best spontaneous purchase. I personally am very happy with the quality its provided me. For one betta, it'll be a perfect house, and ten gallons are very easy to add to a room, imo. Plus, if you ever decide to get more bettas possibly, you could get dividers and just divide the tank! I know at my petco the whole ten gallon starter kits are 64 dollars.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote