Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #1 
Just Add Love

My First Betta

Hi Everyone!

I am a new member, but not new to the forum (I have been a lurker for a LONG time now).

Well anyway, Today I got my first betta. I have had bettas before but that was a LONG time ago. So now I am starting anew. Well I went to the lps and found one I liked and brought him home. He is settling in nicely, I think... he has been in his tank for a few hours now (tank was set up).

I am not happy with how the tank is right now because I have not been able to properly browse through the fish section at the Pet Store but am hoping to do so soon.

What do you guys think I should buy while I am out? He doesnt have a heater YET. But that is because my Family does not believe in heating a fish tank. They say he is better off then he was in the small bowl of blue water (he is in a 2 gallon tank right now) and that was final. Next time I go out though I will be coming home with one so no worries there. In addition to that what else can you think of that I need to but that would make him happier. I have the betta pellets so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you loads! Oh and I will have pics of him up later.

Leslie
Just Add Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

Welcome to the forum...officially!

That's silly of your family to not think the fish needs a heater, good for you for getting him one anyway! In a 2 gallon, a hydro mini heater will work just fine. :D
Hm, I'm not sure of everything you have already. Gravel or rocks, plants (silk, plastic(check for sharp edges that can tear his fins), or real). Hiding caves or some sort of hiding place. Water conditioner (if you don't already have it). A thermometer would be a good idea too. Also, do you have a lid? Just to make sure he doesn't decide to jump out!
As far as extras, you could get him bloodworms as a once a week snack. Hope that helps, and congrats on the new fish! I can't wait to see pics!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #3 
Jayy

I know, my family thought I was crazy for putting a heater in my tank anyway welcome!!!!!!
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #5 
Just Add Love

Thanks guys!

Yeah, they are just going to have to get over the heater thing.... I love the bettas so much. I think they are under the impression I am only going to get one, HA. Right. They don't understand the betta obsession.

Yeah I already have gravel and an old hiding rock but I would love to upgrade to something newer. I just but blood worms on the list...

Do you guys have any suggestions on certain products you like best? Or ones that your fish seem to like.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #6 
AngelicScars

As far as brands, I like Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets and Wardleys are a good alternative. I prefer Prime Water conditioner.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #7 
Just Add Love

Thanks

OK, I'll right those brands down as well.

Anything on tank accessories? Live plant versus Silk Plants? Anything really.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

+1 what AngelicScars said. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Welcome to the forum!! I use Wardleys pellets and Aqua water conditioner, but I've heard that Prime is really good also. I don't have any live plants, just silk and my bettas love them.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #10 
Just Add Love

Thanks again!

This is a fantastic forum!

Anyother suggestions?