Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #1 
lavallin

Question Tetra Whisper Filter

I got a Tetra Whisper Filter for Christmas, ( http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...d=1276&cid=565 ) but have since heard that they are not very good. I am at home right now, away from residence and my wonderful fish, so I cannot try it out!

I have a five gallon tank with a betta and an ADF, and the filter I have is supposed to filter anything from 2-10 gallons. I fear the current may be too strong...

Has anyone had any experience with these filters? Good or bad?
How often would I have to change the cartridge?

I am hoping to get it in there tank and have it be the perfect filter, but something tells me it won't be that easy.. :(
lavallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #2 
New2Betas

I have a tetra whisper external filter in my 20 gallon that I'm cycling now. Nothing wrong with it.
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #3 
aknight

I have Tetra Whisper filters in all my tanks and have had no problems with them. I have to change the filter cartridge about once a month and I use a toothbrush to clean them off each week. This seems to make them last a little longer.
aknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

I have a tetra whisper in tank filter in my 10 gallon and love it. I have had the filter set up since october and haven't needed to change the cartridge yet. Don't buy into the hype on the box.. you really don't need to change your cartridge until it starts falling apart. Just take it out and bang it against a bucket during your wc's and it'll last a while.

Here are some good tips to reduce water flow.
1) (and you should DEFINITELY do this) take some pantyhose and cut the toe off (about 3 inches from the tip) and put it over the in-take part of your filter. This keeps the in-take from sucking fishy fins into the filter (i've had this happen..not fun). This should reduce the water flow enough that your fish won't have a problem but if he still seems upset by the flow you can do #2.
2) Cut a piece of plastic bottle and fit it over the side of the out flow. This creates a buffer.

Since I added the pantyhose to mine I haven't needed the plastic bottle. Just make sure you wait like an hour because it takes a little while for the pantyhose to start reducing the flow.

I'm not near my fish either at the moment but when I get back if you would like pictures of my filter set up and the plastic bottle buffer let me know :)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #5 
lavallin

I am so glad to get positive feedback... I was worried that I had received a lemon.
I definitely will do the pantyhose trick, and I would love to see pictures!
lavallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

The pantyhose has been a lifesaver for my tail biter.

As soon as I get back to school I'll get some pics of my set up. The bottle trick is really simple but if you do the pantyhose I really don't think you'll need it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #7 
Jayy

yeah, I have a whisper 60 and it works just great.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote