Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #1 
anthonylee94

Emergency! Please help.

I just walked into my room and noticed my betta was not responding to me feeding him. I tapped the bowl and then shook it a bit but he gave no response. I then tapped him with a net a he immediately came to life, but a second or to later he would just float to the bottom as if he had died. Whenever I tap him, he comes to life, but then floats back to the bottom! I'm scared! Please help. Is the tank too cold?
anthonylee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #2 
JamieTron

Can I ask you a few questions?

what size tank?
water temperature?
uncycled or cycled tank?
any other strange signs: lesions, strange coloration, spotting, clamped or torn fins?
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #3 
anthonylee94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieTron View Post
Can I ask you a few questions?

what size tank?
water temperature?
uncycled or cycled tank?
any other strange signs: lesions, strange coloration, spotting, clamped or torn fins?
1 liter bowl
i dont have a thermometer
he seems to have a brownish white discolartion in the area around his fins and his fins are torn
Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #4 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
get a biger bowl for him, trust me 1 liter is not even close enough a 2 gallon, or even one gallon will do for now. If it is cold where he is, move him to the warmest place in the house. and lastly some bettafix, or melafix will heal him right up, some other members know more about this then I do (the torn fins thing).

really hope this helps, and good luck
K stiles

(:
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #5 
JamieTron

Would you be able to post a picture? Just to see the fins.

Did you mean 1 litre or one gallon? 1 litre is too small, they will get sick in something that size easily as wastes and gases build up quickly in smaller amounts of water. Like stiles said, 1 gallon or 2 would be better.

How cold is the room you are in? (the water would prob be around that temp or close)

how long have you had the betta?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #6 
anthonylee94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieTron View Post
Would you be able to post a picture? Just to see the fins.

Did you mean 1 litre or one gallon? 1 litre is too small, they will get sick in something that size easily as wastes and gases build up quickly in smaller amounts of water. Like stiles said, 1 gallon or 2 would be better.

How cold is the room you are in? (the water would prob be around that temp or close)

how long have you had the betta?
On second thought, it's probably more than a liter. It's kinda hard to tell. Here is a picture for reference.

I couldn't get a picture of the small discoloration around his fins. My camera sucks. And when I walked in the room it was about 60 degrees. I turned on my heater ever since and it's only gone up to 67...
Old 12-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

His bowl looks close to a 1 gallon (guessing). His water needs to be around a steady 78-80 degrees F. I'd get him a thermometer right away. It seems like he is lethargic from the cold, I wouldn't rush meds just yet. I'd say warm him up first and go from there. Maybe get some aquarium salt to sprinkle in there.
If it stays mostly cold in your house, I'd upgrade the tank to at least 2-2.5 gallons to use a mini heater. It will help the tank to stay at a steady good temp. I hope that helps!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #8 
JamieTron

AngelicScars said what I would say, the water is probably just too cold. If you can move him to a warmer room, the water should be high 70s. I would suggest someday getting a heater if you get a larger tank. It makes it easier to control the temp and they really cheer up with it my guy builds huge nests now that his water is warmer
Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #9 
anthonylee94

Sad news. I woke up this morning to find Ollie dead. It's my fault. I hadn't changed out his water for a long time due to my irresponsibility. Yesterday was the first time I changed out his water in maybe two months... I'm guessing he died of the ammonia from the previous water that was in his bowl. All my fault. But I will say that I have learned from this experience. Thanks for all of the help guys.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #10 
JamieTron

That would probably be it, with water volumes so small you really should change the water 100% at LEAST once a week.

I am sorry for your loss