Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #1 
HopeInHeart

Here it is!

Ok, well plans are finally moving forward! I am still in the conditioning stage, but I thought I'd go ahead and start my breeding thread now. I am conditiong Chip (red dragon), and Spitfire (red cambo, but more red is filling into her body now) as pair, and Aqua (turq marble butterfly) and Nova (blue cambo) as my backup pair.

They are being conditioned with frozen brine shrimp, Hikari bio-gold, and BettaMin.
I have a ten-gallon that needs to be cleaned and set-up, and have money for a heater. Yay! So after things calm down after New Year's, I'll be setting up.

Oh, and Nova has built another bubblenest. I'm sure she's a female since she's dropped eggs before, but this is kind of strange. This is the second one she's built and they are pretty small, but definitely bubblenests. I'm pretty excited!
HopeInHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #2 
Lethbridge

Hope it goes well for you! I love your avatar betta it looks so orange very nice. Most of my females blow bubble nest too when they are ready to breed, i keep mine in a hurricane globe, and the male builds his nest and the female will build hers inside the hurricane globe, its quite cool actually!
Lethbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #3 
HopeInHeart

Wow that's neat, this is the first female I've had that does that. So last night, I had Noel in one of the divisions of the ten-gallon, with three boys in the other 3 divisions, and she somehow got in with the dragon Chip. I watched her a little bit then put her back and fiddled with the divider so she couldn't squeeze through, then went to bed. (The tank has a kind of high cover on it.) I heard a little thunk so I turned on the light and checked on them, and they were fine. I was almost asleep when I heard another *thunk*, so I checked the fish again and sure enough Noel had jumped over the divider, under the cover, into Chip's side. So I switched her to and individual tank, put Toby back in the ten gallon, and went to bed. Noel's tank now had a tight-fitting lid, and sure enough pretty soon I heard a large *clunk*. But she's still in today so maybe that knocked some sense into her. She's a character.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #4 
Lethbridge

thats pretty funny! some breeders let the female jump out of the breeder box/hurricane globe etc. when they are ready to breed,that way there is no guess work when she is ready, however if she is a jumper like yours then you have a problem! What kind of divider are you using? those clear ones with the greenish/bluish ends?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #5 
HopeInHeart

I have homemade dividers. Kind of like stiff plastic "netting". Kind of.

Today as I was siphoning her tank she jumped at my arm and scared me to bits.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol!! It would have scared me, too!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #7 
Lethbridge

Thats pretty funny. I hand feed all my bettas because it makes them less jump etc. during feeding and breeding time, and i want them to know that human's walking around are okay, and every time i feed this one female of mine, she attacks my fingers, and every morning it makes me jump, bettas can be quite unique
Old 01-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #8 
HopeInHeart

Today I found a sumbersible, adjustable, 100W heater within my price range!I also picked up a couple of silk plants, so hopefully I'll be setting the tank up tommorrow.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds good!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #10 
Lethbridge

A 100W heater is very high for a 10 gallon tank if that is what you are using, i would go with a 25W heater